Solving Kirchhoff's Rules: Find Currents in a Circuit w/2 Batteries

• Thread starter BOAS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary, the student is stuck on a problem and is trying to identify where they might have made an error. They have assigned their loops and junctions and have three equations for three unknowns, but can't seem to solve them.
BOAS
Hi,

i'm stuck on this problem and have been trying to identify where I might have made an error but have come up empty. I have assigned my loops and junctions and have three equation for three unknowns, but can't seem to solve them...

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit in the following diagram (attached):

where the two ideal dc batteries deliver a terminal voltage of V1 = 2V and V2 = 10V respectively. The magnitude of the resistances is R1 = 2Ω; R2Ω = 2; and R3 = 3Ω. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the current across the resistor R2.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's junction and loop rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

I1 = I2 + I3 (JR)

v1 - I1R1 - I2R2 = 0 (loop A)

-I3R3 + V2 + I2R2 = 0 (loop B)

I can't see how to solve for any of these, which is making me think I've worked out the expressions wrong, but I can't find the mistake.

Thanks for any help you can give,

BOAS

Attachments

• kirchhoff.PNG
    kirchhoff.PNG
    4.6 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look fine. Must be something to do with your mechanics of solving the equations. Guess you'll have to provide some details there.

BOAS said:
I1 = I2 + I3 (JR)

-I3R3 + V2 + I2R2 = 0 (loop B)

Your work looks fine.

You have three equations and three unknown so there should be no problem .From first equation find the value of i3 and substitute into 2nd and 3rd equations .You will be left with two equations and two unknowns.

Tanya Sharma said:
Your work looks fine.

You have three equations and three unknown so there should be no problem .From first equation find the value of i3 and substitute into 2nd and 3rd equations .You will be left with two equations and two unknowns.

I3 = I1-I2

Subbing into the 3rd equation gives;

V2 + I2R2 - (I1-I2)R3 = 0

I don't see what you meant, when you said to sub I3 into the second equation.

BOAS said:

BOAS said:
V2 + I2R2 - (I1-I2)R3 = 0

Now you have two equations and two unknowns i1 and i2.The values of V1,V2,R1,R2.R3 are given in the problem statement. Just solve the two equations.

Tanya Sharma said:
Now you have two equations and two unknowns i1 and i2.The values of V1,V2,R1,R2.R3 are given in the problem statement. Just solve the two equations.

I've been making this far hard than it needs to be - I definitely need to go back and practice simultaneous equations again. I had completely forgotten to multiply the equations by a number to make elimination possible.

Multiplying V1 - I1R1 - I2R2 = 0 by 3/2 makes the elimination work.

I get an answer for I2 = -7/8 A which means the current goes the other way round.

Thank you for your help.

1. How do Kirchhoff's rules help solve circuits with multiple batteries?

Kirchhoff's rules, also known as Kirchhoff's laws, are fundamental principles used to analyze and solve complex electrical circuits. These rules apply to circuits with multiple batteries and help determine the currents and voltages at different points in the circuit.

2. What are Kirchhoff's rules and how do they work?

Kirchhoff's rules consist of two laws: Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents entering a junction in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the junction. KVL states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop of a circuit must equal the sum of voltage rises. These rules are based on the conservation of charge and energy, respectively, and are used to solve for unknown currents and voltages in a circuit.

3. How do I apply Kirchhoff's rules to a circuit with two batteries?

To apply Kirchhoff's rules to a circuit with two batteries, you first need to draw a circuit diagram and label all the components and their respective currents and voltages. Then, you can use KCL and KVL to set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown currents and voltages. It is important to follow the direction of current flow and assign proper signs to voltage drops and rises in the circuit.

4. Can Kirchhoff's rules be used for any circuit with multiple batteries?

Yes, Kirchhoff's rules can be applied to any circuit with multiple batteries, resistors, and other components. However, the calculations may become more complex as the number of components and nodes in the circuit increases. In some cases, simplifications or approximations may be necessary to solve the circuit using Kirchhoff's rules.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchhoff's rules to solve circuits with two batteries?

Kirchhoff's rules are based on ideal circuit theory and may not accurately represent the behavior of real-world circuits. Additionally, the rules assume that the circuit is in a steady state and does not change over time. Therefore, they may not be applicable to circuits with rapidly changing currents or voltages. In these cases, other analysis methods, such as differential equations, may be necessary to accurately solve the circuit.