Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
  • #3,256
jtbell said:
View attachment 112187 View attachment 112186

At a stamp show near Atlanta today, I saw a nice exhibit of early Mickey Mouse material.

I can't quite make out what they are. Are they stamps? First-day covers?

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,257
The thumbnails should expand to full size when you click on them. The first one is an advertising cover for (I guess) a toy store or department store in Chicago. Mickey is one of the passengers on a Lionel train. The second is an original sketch of Mickey as an airmail pilot for one of the early cartoons.

Unfortunately the clear plastic covers on the exhibit frames produce lots of reflections.

• #3,258
This is no Mickey-Mouse research. The people at Disney Research has just developed a room where https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/disnet-develops-wireless-electricity various mobile electronics wirelessly.

You may actually read the open-access paper here.

Zz.

• #3,259
ZapperZ said:
This is no Mickey-Mouse research. The people at Disney Research has just developed a room where https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/disnet-develops-wireless-electricity various mobile electronics wirelessly.

You may actually read the open-access paper here.

Zz.

I saw that a few days ago. No thanks at 40% to 95% efficiency (with maybe 50% being realistic for a typical sized room). Once you get above a few watts the losses will show up as an increased power bill and with metal walls the RF reception for your powered cell phone and WiFi devices might be a little poor unless you have a repeater system in each room. That pole carries a 140 A current at the max power level of 1900 W. That's not something I'd want little kids being around.

• #3,260
ZapperZ said:
The people at Disney Research has just developed a room where https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/disnet-develops-wireless-electricity various mobile electronics wirelessly.

Do they call it "The Zappiest place on Earth"?

Likes Mondayman, Astronuc and nsaspook
  • #3,261
Cinderella(1950) without makeup, looks like young Mary Poppins:
yu4EY.jpg

• #3,262
Super cool!

Likes Borg
  • #3,264
If you have not seen Disney/Pixar latest masterpiece "Coco", be warned that you may encounter adults shedding tears during the movie. No Disney/Pixar movie has the same emotionally wrought moment since the opening sequence of "Up" and the ending of "Toy Story 3".

Highly recommended.

Zz.

Likes dlgoff
  • #3,265

• #3,266
It isn't everyday that the topics of politics, physics, and Disney come together, but it certainly did in this one.

Here's a very obscure Disney trivia that you will get out of this: What currently-serving US Congressman designed and built the parade controller for Disney's Electrical Parade that debut at Disneyland?

Check out minute 5:50 in the video below for the answer.

BTW, he is currently the ONLY physicist left in the US congress.

Zz.

Likes Astronuc and nsaspook
  • #3,267
I finally extracted this info out of my phone. And since I'm a physicist, I had to analyze and chart it out (of course!). So during my last visit to WDW, this was how much I walked over the 9 full days that I was there:
walking at wdw.jpg

Yeah, I walked a lot, but I also ate a lot, so they all wash out in the end. I also didn't walk as much as I used to, because we were not in any hurry or need to do anything much. Most of the time, we just sat on a nice bench and did people-watching as we stuffed our faces with snacks and drinks. It also helped that the Epcot's Flower and Garden Festival that was on while we were there also became Flower and Garden and Food Festival. There was no lacking of stuff to sample on.

Zz.

Likes Astronuc, Locrian and Borg
  • #3,268
Did you park hop? If you did, it might be fun to make it stacked bar charts, with different colors by park.

Ironically the last time I took my brother's family to MK he left disappointed with the number of steps he walked. I'm going to give credit for that to the combination of myself and Touring Plan's expert planning.

• #3,269
400+ days later.

Likes atyy
  • #3,270
jtbell said:
The first one is an advertising cover for (I guess) a toy store or department store in Chicago.
And four years later...

Wieboldt's was a Chicago department store. It was famous for its multilingual staff: one could talk to the salespeople in the language of "the old country" whatever that was.

• #3,271
No outdoor masks at WDW today.

Likes atyy
  • #3,272
It's super tough getting reservations. Plan significantly in advance!

• #3,273