Thermodynamics Enthelpy Problem

In summary, the device uses a saturated liquid refrigerant to produce heat. The heat is transferred to the refrigerant until it is vaporized.
Mattheo
A frictionless piston cylinder device contains a saturated liquid (refrigerant-134a). The refrigerant is heated until it reaches to some temperature. Determine the work done and heat transferred to the refrigerant during this process.

I just want to make sure that I understand this topic. I will have to use tables for this.(a)The saturated liquid is turned into super heated gas.
(b) Heat transferred is the change in the internal energy u.
(c)Work done is the change in ΔP*V where P is pressure and V is volume

h=u+PV

Are those 3 assumptions correct?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the pressure held constant during the process or is the volume held constant?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Is the pressure held constant during the process or is the volume held constant?

Chet

Pressure is constant as the piston is free to move.

Mattheo said:
Pressure is constant as the piston is free to move.
Then assumptions b and c are incorrect.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:

Chet

Why not a? There is a rise in temperature. So, vaporization is process completed. Or is it because my explanation wasn't adequate?

Mattheo said:
Why not a? There is a rise in temperature. So, vaporization is process completed. Or is it because my explanation wasn't adequate?
Assumption a is OK.

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:

Chet

So could you tell me where I am wrong? I believe my assumptions are correct. Energy transfer by work is in terms of force(PV) and by heat is in terms of temperature (internal energy, or is it enthalpy?)

Last edited:
Mattheo said:
So could you tell me where I am wrong? I believe my assumptions are correct. Energy transfer by work is in terms of force(PV) and by heat is in terms of temperature (internal energy, or is it enthalpy?)
It's enthalpy for this problem.

The first law applied to this problem gives:

ΔU=Q-PΔV

What does that tell you about what Q is equal to? What does that tell you about what the work is equal to?

Based on this information, how would you go about using your tables to answer the problem questions?

Chet

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
It's enthalpy for this problem.

The first law applied to this problem gives:

ΔU=Q-PΔV

What does that tell you about what Q is equal to? What does that tell you about what the work is equal to?

Based on this information, how would you go about using your tables to answer the problem questions?

Chet

I see what you mean. Thanks a lot for making me realize my mistake. But there is one more thing that I am confused: The concept of enthalpy. It is hard to define it that's why I have difficulties of using it.

I mean, if u is the internal energy, which is a function of Temperature, how can you add that up with PV, which is again a function of Temperature (PV=RT). So u and PV are not independent from each other. Moreover, increase/decrease in temperature will have the same effect on each of them. It comes up to my mind as they are two different reflections of the same thing. Then why adding two same things to each other?

Mattheo said:
I see what you mean. Thanks a lot for making me realize my mistake. But there is one more thing that I am confused: The concept of enthalpy. It is hard to define it that's why I have difficulties of using it.

It isn't anything fundamental. The fundamental function is U. But, the enthalpy has been found to be very convenient function to work with in many types of problems.

I mean, if u is the internal energy, which is a function of Temperature, how can you add that up with PV, which is again a function of Temperature (PV=RT). So u and PV are not independent from each other. Moreover, increase/decrease in temperature will have the same effect on each of them.
Actually, an increase/decrease in temperature will have a different effect on each of them. For an ideal gas,

dU = CvdT

but

dH = dU + d(PV)= CvdT + RdT = (Cv+R)dT = CpdT

As you get more experience solving thermo problems, you will get a better appreciation of why it is often much more convenient to work with the enthalpy.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
It isn't anything fundamental. The fundamental function is U. But, the enthalpy has been found to be very convenient function to work with in many types of problems.

Actually, an increase/decrease in temperature will have a different effect on each of them. For an ideal gas,

dU = CvdT

but

dH = dU + d(PV)= CvdT + RdT = (Cv+R)dT = CpdT

As you get more experience solving thermo problems, you will get a better appreciation of why it is often much more convenient to work with the enthalpy.

Chet

You have been really helpful. Thanks for you time.

1. What is the definition of enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a thermodynamic system at constant pressure. It is represented by the symbol "H" and is typically measured in units of Joules (J).

2. How is enthalpy related to internal energy?

Enthalpy is closely related to internal energy, as it is the sum of the internal energy and the product of pressure and volume. This means that changes in enthalpy can be used to calculate changes in internal energy and vice versa.

3. What is the difference between enthalpy and heat?

Enthalpy and heat are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing. Enthalpy is a state function, meaning it depends only on the current state of the system, while heat is a process function, meaning it depends on the path taken to reach the current state.

4. How is enthalpy used in thermodynamics calculations?

Enthalpy is used in various thermodynamics calculations, including heat transfer and chemical reactions. It allows us to calculate the heat exchanged between a system and its surroundings at constant pressure and to determine the heat of a chemical reaction.

5. What is the importance of enthalpy in real-world applications?

Enthalpy is an important concept in many real-world applications, including power generation, refrigeration, and chemical production. It helps engineers and scientists understand and predict the behavior of thermodynamic systems, making it a crucial tool in the design and optimization of various processes and technologies.