Elastic collision, one object in circular motion

In summary, the collision between the two balls was elastic, and the result was that ball 1 missed the other ball.
azukibean

Homework Statement

A steel ball of mass m is fastened to a cord of length L and released when the cord is horizontal. At the bottom of the path, the ball strikes a hard plastic block of mass M = 4m at rest on a frictionless surface. The collision is elastic.

Find the speed of the block immediately after the collision
Answer: (2/5)*[itex]\sqrt{}[/itex](2gL)

Homework Equations

KE + PE = KE + PE; (1/2)mv2 + mgh = (1/2)mv'2 + mgh'
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v'1 + m2v'2

The Attempt at a Solution

COE
mgL = (1/2)mv2
v = √(2gL)

COM
mv1 = mv'1 + 4mv'2
m√(2gL) = m(v'1 + 4v'2)
√(2gL) = v'1 + 4v'2
??

The textbook cites an example that wasn't even relevant. It said that the example was elastic and one object was at rest, but the example was actually the opposite.
It says v'1 = v1(m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2) and v'2 = 2m1/(m1 + m2). How can I prove this?
Also, in the diagram, it says m becomes 2m...?

Attachments

• asdas.gif
    asdas.gif
    213.3 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
azukibean said:
It says v'1 = v1(m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2) and v'2 = 2m1/(m1 + m2). How can I prove this?

Consider two balls, one of mass ##m_1## and one of mass ##m_2##. Suppose ball 1 is traveling at ball 2 with velocity ##(v_{i_x})_1## and strikes ball 2 in a perfectly elastic collision.

After the collision, the balls have velocity ##(v_{f_x})_1## and ##(v_{f_x})_2## respectively.

The collision must obey two conservation laws, namely the conservation of momentum (obeyed in any collision) and conservation of mechanical energy. The mechanical energy before and after the collision is purely kinetic.

Using the conservation of momentum and conservation of mechanical energy, along with some messy algebra, it can be proven both those equations hold.

This is possibly one of the ugliest equations I've seen.
I can't set the two Vf1 equal to each other, that would lead to 0. But I also can't figure out where to go from there.

Attachments

• hdfgd.jpg
    hdfgd.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 538
You have the two equations:

##m_1(v_{i_x})_1 = m_1(v_{f_x})_1 + m_2(v_{f_x})_2## (1)

and

##\frac{1}{2} m_1(v_{i_x})_1^2 = \frac{1}{2} m_1(v_{f_x})_1^2 + \frac{1}{2} m_2(v_{f_x})_2^2 ## (2)

In equation (1), start by isolating ##(v_{f_x})_1##; call this equation (3). Then substitute the result into equation (2).

After some pain, you wind up with:

##(v_{f_x})_2 [(1 + \frac{m_2}{m_1})(v_{f_x})_2 - 2(v_{i_x})_1 ] = 0##

So either ##(v_{f_x})_2 = 0## or ##[(1 + \frac{m_2}{m_1})(v_{f_x})_2 - 2(v_{i_x})_1 ] = 0##.

If ##(v_{f_x})_2 = 0##, then ball 1 completely missed the other ball. So you want the other solution, which will give you a solution for ##(v_{f_x})_2##. This solution happens to be one of your two equations.

To get the other equation, sub back ##(v_{f_x})_2## into equation (3), which will yield the other equation.

Thanks, you're awesome! The algebra was a total pain.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some of the kinetic energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or sound. In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other without losing any kinetic energy.

3. What happens to the momentum of an object in circular motion during an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the momentum of an object in circular motion remains constant. This is because momentum is conserved in all types of collisions, and in an elastic collision, there is no external force acting on the system to change the momentum of the object.

4. How is the velocity of an object in circular motion affected by an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the velocity of an object in circular motion can change depending on the direction and speed of the other object involved in the collision. If the other object has a greater mass and velocity, it can cause the object in circular motion to change its direction and speed after the collision.

5. Can an object in circular motion experience an elastic collision with itself?

No, an object in circular motion cannot experience an elastic collision with itself. In order for a collision to be elastic, there must be at least two objects involved. An object cannot collide with itself, therefore it is not possible to have an elastic collision with itself.