Is fluoridation of drinking water really necessary and cost-effective?

• Thread starter Rabid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: However, I also found some studies that say fluoride is not bad for you. In summary, I think it's up to the person consuming it to decide whether or not they want to add it to their water.
Rabid
I have heard and seen a number of sites that claim that the fluoride that is put into water is a waste product of aluminum and fertilizer industries and that it is actually toxic and can cause cancer and genetic damage and a number of other health problems.

Is there any truth to this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There was found a larger incidence of cancer cases in communities that fluoridate water than in non fluoridation communities.
This does not mean that fluor causes cancer! Communities that fluoridate water are generally richer, so it is expected a larger lifespan and, in consequence, greater incidence of degenerative diseases, like cancer, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.
You must distinguish statistical correlation from causation.

F is used as a metabolic inhibitor in several microorganisms. Just the other week we did a study on L.Plantarum and the relative fermentative productivity of it once it was exposed to NaF or Iodoacetamide. The results where that NaF was the more potent inhibitor and basically the little I know is that it can even stuff up bacteria that use manganese as their final electron acceptor. That is a big deal as most Mn2+ critters have this unknown way of dealing with free radicals like superoxide. That also means that these critters are somewhat resistant to the effects of visible light which can kill even some of the most adaptive microorganims like e.coli.

F is also pretty high up on the electron acceptor list so it can pretty much bind to any positive molecule. It restricts several enzymes in this way especially glycolysis enzymes. Now F or any pure element in great concentrations can cause big problems in the body, it their accumulation that may cause regulatory problems in the body.

The vast majority of people in Australia, US and I think Canada drink fluoridated water and for it to cause cancer would be its presence or a cocentration of it in the cancerous tissue. Atleast I would detect it causing cancer in this fashion, now in humans i have not seen any paper stating this or any study actually trying to observe this. A lot of the research I have seen on F deal primarily with it as anti microbial agent.

There are millions of studies and I like many are oblivious to most of them unless I am supposed to write a report or something. F to my knowledge if widely used around us and so are VOCs so basically to determine which causes cancer would very hard. I think it could be cumulative effect, genetic susceptibility should also be taken into account here.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts11.html#bookmark06
Most of the studies of people living in areas with fluoridated water or naturally high levels of fluoride in drinking water did not find an association between fluoride and cancer risk. Two animal cancer studies were inconclusive. The international Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has determined that the carcinogenicity of fluoride to humans is not classifiable.

However, here in Oregon, a very strong correlation between rotten teeth and unfluoridated water has motivated even the smallest towns to add fluoride.

In fact...that gives me an idea for my well... :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:

dude, pretty soon, you're going to need to hire a full time operator!

I don't know about cancer, but my friends a dentist and she told me that the people you see whose teeth have white blotches on them all on the bottom and edges, its from too much fluoride in their system. they have very strong teeth that will never break, but it looks awful and there is no way to reverse it. dude, just brush your teeth and they won't rot out of your head. how difficult is that?

Ivan Seeking said:
However, here in Oregon, a very strong correlation between rotten teeth and unfluoridated water has motivated even the smallest towns to add fluoride.

My sister lives in a town that has unfluoridated water, so the pediatricians prescribe chewable tablets that contain fluoride for the kids. I would suspect pediatricians in other towns without fluoridated water do this as well. Therefore, if you're going to attribute anything to the fluoride, you're going to have to account for those obtaining it from sources other than drinking water.

What is the point of flouridrating tons and tons of water when only a small 0.0003% is going to end inside the human body?? i mean. is the same water we use to wash the dishes, take showers, wash the car, clean the flor... what is the point? i still don't get it...

Im glad I am on a well

Burnsys said:
What is the point of flouridrating tons and tons of water when only a small 0.0003% is going to end inside the human body?? i mean. is the same water we use to wash the dishes, take showers, wash the car, clean the flor... what is the point? i still don't get it...
My dad has on the order of about 100 cavities.

I have 3.

Burnsys said:

The same could be said for many aspects of water treatment (e.g., disinfection). I suppose it would be too expensive/complicated to provide multiple grades of water to every household...easier to make it all as clean as possible. But for fluoridation, I got to wonder if it would be cheaper for cities just to provide everyone with fluoride drops/tablets via the local pharmacy.

Phobos said:
But for fluoridation, I got to wonder if it would be cheaper for cities just to provide everyone with fluoride drops/tablets via the local pharmacy.

But I wonder how many people would bother to take advantage of it. If the goal of the government is to get fluoride into everyone, the water supply would be a more effective delivery method.
As for being cheaper, I'm not sure of the costs of flouridation of water supplies, but to make, package and distribute tablets/drops to every pharmacy in a city over a long timescale must be quite costly I should imagine.

1. What is fluoride and why is it added to drinking water?

Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that is added to drinking water in order to prevent tooth decay. It is added at a level that is safe and effective in reducing the risk of cavities.

2. Is fluoride safe to consume?

Yes, fluoride is safe to consume in the recommended amounts. The U.S. Public Health Service has determined that the optimal level of fluoride in drinking water is 0.7 parts per million (ppm), which has been shown to be safe and effective in preventing tooth decay without causing any negative health effects.

3. Are there any potential negative health effects of fluoride in drinking water?

At the recommended levels, there are no known negative health effects of fluoride in drinking water. However, consuming high levels of fluoride over a long period of time can potentially lead to dental fluorosis, a condition that causes white spots on teeth. This is why the optimal level of fluoride in drinking water is carefully monitored and regulated.

4. Can fluoride be removed from drinking water?

Yes, fluoride can be removed from drinking water through various filtration methods such as reverse osmosis or activated alumina filters. However, it is important to note that removing fluoride from drinking water can also remove other beneficial minerals, so it is important to consult with a water expert before making any changes to your water filtration system.

5. Is there a difference between naturally occurring fluoride and added fluoride in drinking water?

No, there is no difference between naturally occurring fluoride and added fluoride in drinking water. Both are chemically identical and provide the same benefits in preventing tooth decay. The only difference is the source of the fluoride.