Calculating Energy Required to Move a Space Shuffle

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the energy required to move a space shuttle from a radius of 1.3*10^7 m to 2.5*10^7 m. The area under the graph of gravity vs distance represents the amount of energy needed, and can be calculated using integral laws. However, the question asks if there is an easier way to find this energy. The conversation then explores factors such as the shuttle's mass, gravitational influence, and time taken to change orbital radius. Eventually, it is revealed that the energy needed can be calculated using the equation y=\frac{GM}{r^2} and the resulting answer is 1472360J.
bayan
Hi everyone.

I have a question about energy required to move a space shuffle from a radius of [tex]1.3*10^7 m[/tex] to [tex]2.5*10^7 m[/tex]

I know that the area underneath the graph represents the amount of energy required and may even be able to work it using ingral laws. but is there an easy way?

Physics news on Phys.org
May I know is the 'changing radius' that of the shuffle? or is it that you ar etaking it away from something of a particvular radius.

bayan said:
Hi everyone.

I have a question about energy required to move a space shuffle from a radius of [tex]1.3*10^7 m[/tex] to [tex]2.5*10^7 m[/tex]

I know that the area underneath the graph represents the amount of energy required and may even be able to work it using ingral laws. but is there an easy way?
What is the gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy of the shuttle in orbits of each of these two radii? What is the energy difference?

AM

bayan the information provided in your ? is insufficient, cos the shuttle can be movied with the most least energy if its 1) of lesser mass 2) not under gravitational influence and 3) if more time can be taken

nykill said:
bayan the information provided in your ? is insufficient, cos the shuttle can be movied with the most least energy if its 1) of lesser mass 2) not under gravitational influence and 3) if more time can be taken
Really?
1) The Shuttle will lose mass by burning fuel, but I think the question assumes that fuel loss can be ignored. That may or may not be reasonable but since we are not given the rate of fuel consumption we have no choice. 2) how does it move in a circle (of the given radius) if there is no gravity? 3) how does the amount of time taken to change orbital radius affect the energy change?

AM

it is the radius of the orbit of space suffle. it is to be moved from [tex]1.3*10^7 m [/tex] from center of Earth to [tex]2.5*10^7 m[/tex] from the center of the earth.

They have given the graph for Gravity Vs Distance and I know that the amount of energy is the area under the graph. but how can I find it and showing any work out? I did find it using a calculator.

bayan said:
it is the radius of the orbit of space suffle. it is to be moved from [tex]1.3*10^7 m [/tex] from center of Earth to [tex]2.5*10^7 m[/tex] from the center of the earth.

They have given the graph for Gravity Vs Distance and I know that the amount of energy is the area under the graph. but how can I find it and showing any work out? I did find it using a calculator.
So what did you input into the calculator and what was your answer?

AM

I put it as [tex]y=\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex] where [tex]r=x[/tex]and found the area for [tex] 1.3*10^7 m >x<2.5*10^7 m[/tex]

my answer was [tex]1472360J[/tex]

1. How is energy required to move a space shuttle calculated?

The energy required to move a space shuttle is calculated using the formula E = F x d, where E is energy, F is force, and d is distance. This formula takes into account the amount of force needed to move the shuttle a certain distance.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy needed to move a space shuttle?

The amount of energy needed to move a space shuttle is affected by several factors, including the mass of the shuttle, the distance it needs to travel, the speed at which it is moving, and any external forces acting on the shuttle, such as gravity or air resistance.

3. How does the energy required to move a space shuttle differ in space compared to on Earth?

In space, the energy required to move a space shuttle is significantly lower compared to on Earth. This is because there is no air resistance, which is a major factor in the amount of energy needed to move an object. However, the mass and distance of the shuttle will still affect the amount of energy needed.

4. How is the energy required to move a space shuttle used in actual space missions?

The energy required to move a space shuttle is used in a variety of ways in actual space missions. It is used to power the shuttle's engines and thrusters, to maintain its orbit, and to perform maneuvers such as docking and reentry. The amount of energy needed for each task is carefully calculated and monitored by NASA engineers.

5. Can the energy required to move a space shuttle be decreased?

The energy required to move a space shuttle can be decreased by reducing its mass, using more efficient engines and propulsion systems, and minimizing the distance it needs to travel. NASA is constantly researching and developing new technologies to make space travel more energy efficient and cost-effective.