Product of integrable functions

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if f and g are integrable functions, then fg is also integrable. The participants mention using the formula fg=(f+g)^2-(f-g)^2/4 and proving that the second integral exists, but they are having trouble because they do not know the specific functions involved. They then consider using theorems about integrability and continuous functions, such as the fact that if f and g are integrable, then af+bg is also integrable, and the composition of a continuous function and an integrable function is also integrable.
steven187
hello all

im in the middle of proving that if f and g are integrable functions then show that fg is also integrable

im up to trying to show that M_i(fg,P)-m_i(fg,P) is less than or equal to something that involves U(f,P)-L(f,P)<e^0.5 and U(g,P)-L(g,P)<e^0.5
anybody have any ideas, if i make any improvements I will post it up

thanxs

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that

[tex]fg=\frac{(f+g)^2-(f-g)^2}{4}[/tex]

So

[tex]\int_a^b fg dx = \int_a^b \frac{(f+g)^2-(f-g)^2}{4} dx[/itex]

if that second integral exists. Show that it does.

hello there

well I have spent some time on it but, i can't show that the integral exist because i don't actually know what these functions are, I tried using it with the upper and lower sums but i aint getting anywhere that way

please help

thank you

can you, do,it if f,g are positive?

Have you seen the theorem that say that if f and g and integrable, then af+bg (where a,b are constants) is integrable?

With that and the theorem that (basically) says that if F is integrable and G is continuous, then the composition G(F(x)) is integrable, you show that (f+g)² and (f-g)² are integrable (because x² is continuous and (f+g)² is the composition of f+g by x²)

1. What is a product of integrable functions?

A product of integrable functions is the result of multiplying two or more functions that are integrable, meaning they can be integrated over a given interval. This creates a new function that is also integrable and can be evaluated using integration techniques.

2. How is a product of integrable functions calculated?

To calculate a product of integrable functions, simply multiply the functions together using the distributive property. Then, integrate the resulting function over the given interval to find the product.

3. What is the significance of a product of integrable functions?

A product of integrable functions is significant because it allows for the evaluation of complex functions by breaking them down into simpler, integrable parts. It also allows for the calculation of important quantities such as area and volume.

4. Can a product of integrable functions be simplified?

Yes, a product of integrable functions can be simplified using algebraic manipulation. This can be useful in making the integration process easier or in finding certain patterns or relationships between the functions.

5. What are some real-life applications of products of integrable functions?

Products of integrable functions have many real-life applications, such as in physics and engineering where they are used to calculate important quantities like work, force, and displacement. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to model and analyze various systems.