What Are the Best Current Physics and Astrophysics Books for Graduate Students?

In summary, this person is looking for books that are not too specific and that are not from a specific series. They would like to buy books by Peebles and Greene, but are not sure if they can read them.
cosmo_boy
hi,
I have some money which I have to spend on physics & astrophysics books. I want your openion on this matter.

I am looking for books which are not too specific.
For example I like A&A library of Springer but I do not want to buy books like "Supernovae" or "Gravitational lensing". From this series I already have "The Early universe", "Astrophysical concepts", and "Astrophysics".
I want to buy "Dover's" books but most of them are very old. I thought about "Graviation (Misner, Throne, Wheeler)", but not sure either I will be able to read this thick book in my life, particulerly when I have very light and easy books like Weinberg's GTR & Cosmology book.

One starnge thing is that most of the classic books were written in early 70s, like Hawking & Elis "Large scale of structure of space time", Zeldovich & Novikov's "Relativistic Astrophysics", and "Gravitatioan" and they never came up with their any new edition.

Peeble's both books "Large scale structure of the universe" and "Physical cosmology" I already have.

Anyway, If you know about some latest and very good physics, astrophysics and cosmology books suitable for a gradutae student or researcher let me know.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I recently studied some chapters of Dodelson's Modern Cosmology (graduate level, 2003) and I think it is pretty good.

i learn a lot about particle physics from Brian Greene books: Elegant Universe and The Fabric of the Cosmos, not to specific for beginer

Timbuqtu said:
I recently studied some chapters of Dodelson's Modern Cosmology (graduate level, 2003) and I think it is pretty good.

This book i have. This is really a very good book.

nee said:
i learn a lot about particle physics from Brian Greene books: Elegant Universe and The Fabric of the Cosmos, not to specific for beginer

I think this book is for school going kids.

1. What is the difference between physics and astrophysics?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe. Astrophysics is a branch of physics that specifically focuses on the properties and behavior of objects and phenomena in the universe, such as stars, galaxies, and cosmic radiation.

2. Are there any recommended books for beginners in physics and astrophysics?

Yes, there are several great introductory books for those interested in physics and astrophysics. Some popular choices include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

3. Can someone with no background in physics understand books on astrophysics?

Yes, many books on astrophysics are written for a general audience and do not require a background in physics to understand. However, some basic knowledge of scientific principles and terminology may be helpful.

4. What are some recent advancements in the field of astrophysics?

Recent advancements in astrophysics include the detection of gravitational waves, the discovery of exoplanets, and the exploration of the cosmic microwave background radiation. Other ongoing research areas include dark matter and dark energy, black holes, and the formation and evolution of galaxies.

5. Are there any notable female astrophysicists who have written books?

Yes, there are many notable female astrophysicists who have written books on the subject. Some well-known examples include Janna Levin, Lisa Randall, and Priyamvada Natarajan. These women have made significant contributions to the field of astrophysics and have shared their knowledge and insights through their books.