Optimizing Motion: Calculating Time for Frictional Motion Between Two Blocks

• Thread starter psingh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the coefficient of static friction is 0.60 between the two blocks in figure. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the floor is 0.20. Force causes both blocks to cross a distance of 5.0 m, starting from rest.
psingh
The coefficient of static friction is 0.60 between the two blocks in figure. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the floor is 0.20. Force causes both blocks to cross a distance of 5.0 m, starting from rest.
What is the least amount of time in which this motion can be completed without the top block sliding on the lower block?

this is wht i think as long at the two blocks are moving together they have the same accleration.

bottom box:
x: Ff= ukFn= 0.20*7kg*9.81m/s/s=7*a

top box:
x: Ft-ff= Ft- usFn= 0.60*4*9.81m/s/s=4*a

and then can't you just use the kinematics equation xf=xi+vt+.5at^2
to find the time?

Attachments

• fizzix.jpg
    fizzix.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,602
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm--I prefer to keep the static friction coefficients as [itex] \mu _{S,1} [/itex] and [itex] \mu _{S,2} [/itex] until the end, where
[tex] \left\{ \begin{gathered}
\mu _{S,1} = 0.60 \hfill \\
\mu _{S,2} = 0.20 \hfill \\
\end{gathered} \right\} [/tex]
and [tex] F_{net,1} [/tex] is the net force for the top block, [tex] F_{net,2} [/tex] is the net force for the bottom block. Here's my solution:
[tex] \left\{ \begin{gathered}
F_{net,1} = a \cdot 4.0kg = F_T - 39N\mu _{S,1} \hfill \\
F_{net,2} = a \cdot 3.0kg = 39N\mu _{S,1} - 69N\mu _{S,2} \hfill \\
\end{gathered} \right\} \Rightarrow [/tex]
[tex] a = \frac{{F_T - 39N\mu _{S,1} }}{{4.0kg}} \Rightarrow [/tex]

[tex] 3.0kg\frac{{F_T - 39N\mu _{S,1} }}{{4.0kg}} = 39N\mu _{S,1} - 69N\mu _{S,2} \Rightarrow [/tex]
[tex] \frac{{3.0}}{{4.0}}\left( {F_T - 23N} \right) = 9.6N \Rightarrow F_T = 36N [/tex]
[tex] \therefore a = \frac{{36N - 23N}}{{4.0kg}} = 3.3\frac{m}{{s^2 }} [/tex]

*Because [itex] v_0 = 0 \frac{m}{s} [/itex], and I like to set [itex] x_0 = 0 m [/itex],
[tex] \therefore v = \left( {3.3\frac{m}{{s^2 }}} \right)t \Rightarrow x = 5.0m = \left( {3.3\frac{m}{{s^2 }}} \right)\frac{{t^2 }}{2} \Rightarrow t = 1.7s [/tex]

Is this the correct answer?

Last edited:
thanks! ooo i see where i messsed up. on the bottom box for the mass, i made it 7 instead of just 3kg.

thanks alot!

psingh said:
thanks! ooo i see where i messsed up. on the bottom box for the mass, i made it 7 instead of just 3kg.

thanks alot!

No problem, welcome to PF:smile:
Drawing the free-body diagrams can help tho*

-When you draw it for the bottom mass,
you can draw two weight vectors, and one large normal force opposing
the stacked masses that relates to the friction of the bottom block against the floor...the second mass has its own free-body diagram/properties, its own 3.0kg, unique to the system (rather than just combining into 7.0kg)

Last edited:
The easy way to solve for the acceleration is to just consider forces on the bottom block. No matter how hard the rope is pulled, the only force transmitted to the bottom block is that from the static friction between the blocks. Once that force reaches its maximum value ([itex]\mu_2 m_2 g[/itex]) the bottom block will have the maximum acceleration. You can compute the net force on the bottom block ([itex]F_{net} = \mu_2 m_2 g - \mu_1 (m_1 + m_2) g[/itex]) and thus calculate that maximum acceleration. The rest is kinematics.

Hmm--I guess I need a better book than Barron's Review! (I never took Physics C, I'm studying from a review book)-->your method is much faster, I agree'''
(So far I took CalcII in school, and have a bunch of Phys B knowledge w/o the math-->so I figured a review book would be faster, though not necessarily better than a real textbook!)

1. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction refers to the force that resists the motion of an object when it is at rest. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is already in motion.

2. How is the coefficient of friction related to static and kinetic friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is used to calculate the force of both static and kinetic friction. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the amount of static and kinetic friction?

The amount of static friction is affected by the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the force pushing the two surfaces together, and any external forces acting on the object. Kinetic friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the speed of the object, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How can static and kinetic friction be reduced?

One way to reduce static friction is by applying a lubricant, such as oil or grease, to the surfaces in contact. This creates a slippery layer between the surfaces and reduces the amount of friction. To reduce kinetic friction, you can use wheels or other rolling mechanisms instead of sliding surfaces.

5. Why is static friction important?

Static friction is important because it allows objects to stay in place without slipping, which can be crucial for holding structures together or maintaining the stability of objects. It also allows us to start moving objects from rest without having them slip or slide uncontrollably.