Looking for Accredited Online Calculus Courses

In summary, the person is looking for an accredited online Calculus I course to take over winter break so that they can take Calculus II in the spring. They are having trouble finding options in-state and are concerned about missing important concepts in an online course. Some suggested resources for online Calculus courses are provided. The person has personally taken 15 hours of online classes and wishes the asker good luck.
CS_Surfer
Hi,

I'm currently taking Pre-Calculus, and would like to take Calculus I completely online once I complete Pre-Calc. Does anyone here know of any accredited online calculus courses? My college doesn't offer Calc I over the winter break, and I'm not having much luck finding any colleges / universities in state which offer it online or on campus during the winter. My purpose for wanting to take Calc I over the winter is so I can take Calc II in the Spring.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I personally would not be at all happy with the idea of taking Calculus I "online". It is very easy (and unfortunately done by some "cookbook" courses) to treat Calculus I as more computations of the kind you see in algebra and precalculus courses. The precise reasoning and new definitions- limits, the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed and how one defines "instantaneous speed"- are a whole new kind of concept, the reason why calculus started a revolution in mathematics and science. I would be very worried that a person doing Calculus I on his own would miss that.

http://www.distancelearn.org/courseSearchResults.cfm

This link will get you to Florida's Distance Learning site where you will find several online Calculus classes.

BTW...this linkhttp://www.distancelearn.org/mainPage.cfm is for their entire online course search. It is the most comprehensive I have found.
I have taken 15 hrs of online classes. It is NOT easy, but it IS possible.
Good luck to you,

1. What is an accredited online calculus course?

An accredited online calculus course is a course that has been reviewed and approved by a recognized accrediting agency, ensuring that it meets certain standards of quality and rigor. This means that the course curriculum, instructors, and assessments have been evaluated and deemed to be of a high standard.

2. How do I know if an online calculus course is accredited?

You can usually find information about a course's accreditation status on the course provider's website. Look for a statement or logo from a recognized accrediting agency. You can also check the accrediting agency's website to verify the accreditation status of a specific course.

3. Why is it important to take an accredited online calculus course?

Accreditation ensures that the course meets certain standards of quality and rigor, which means that you can be confident in the education you will receive. It also means that the course credits you earn will be recognized by other institutions, making it easier to transfer them if you decide to pursue further education.

4. Are all online calculus courses accredited?

No, not all online calculus courses are accredited. It is important to do your research and make sure that the course you are considering is accredited by a recognized agency. This will ensure that you are investing your time and money in a quality education.

5. Can I get college credit for an accredited online calculus course?

Yes, if the online calculus course is accredited, the credits you earn should be recognized by other institutions. However, it is always best to check with the institution you plan to attend to make sure they will accept the credits before enrolling in the course.