Interest rate, Differential Eq problem.

In summary, the question asks for the maximum amount that a home buyer, who can afford to spend $800/month on mortgage payments, can borrow with a 9% interest rate and a 20-year term. Assuming continuous compounding and payments, the problem can be set up using first order equations. By solving the differential equation, the maximum amount that the buyer can borrow can be determined, as well as the total interest paid during the term of the mortgage.
leoflc
I encounter with one of the textbook problem that I don't know how to approach.

Here's the queston:

A home buyer can afford to spend no more than $800/month on mortage payments. Suppose that the interest rate is 9% and that the term of the mortgage is 20 years. Assume that interest is compounded continuously and that payments are also made continuously.
a) Determine the maximum amount that this buyer can afford to borrow.
b) Determine the total interest paid during the term of the mortage.

Right now I have no idea on how to setup this problem, so I hope I can get some pointers here.

Thank you very much!
Leo

Physics news on Phys.org
leoflc said:
Right now I have no idea on how to setup this problem

Me neither! What were you given in the way of definitions of the relevant quantities?

I'm sorry, but that do you mean by "definitions of the relevant quantities?"
That was the complete question; all I know is I should use first order equations to solve this problem (because this question is under that section.)

Thank you.

leoflc said:
I'm sorry, but that do you mean by "definitions of the relevant quantities?"

Well for example I know that continuously compounded interest grows exponentially: [itex]I=Pe^{rt}[/itex]. Do you have any examples of modeling continuous payments?

I understand that you posted the complete question, but I'm wondering if you have any background info on this.

You must have some idea of how to set up the problem if you are working with differential equations!

The rate at which the principal grows, dP/dt, is proportional to the principal but it is also being diminished at a fixed rate (the constant rate at which payments are being made). Can you express that as a differential equation? What can you learn from solving the ODE?

You must have similar examples in your textbook. It may not be finance but the concept will be similar (accumulation).

Here's how I would do it: If the principle at time T (in years) is X(T) then the annual interest is 0.09X and the payments would be 12(800)= 9600 (per year). Let h be some fraction of a year. Then the interest would be 0.09hX and the payments would be 9690h. The change in the principle would be
X(T+h)- X(T)= 0.09hX- 9600h. Dividing by h gives (X(T+h)- X(T))/h= 0.09X- 9690. Finally, taking the limit as h goes to 0, we get the differential equation dX/dt= 0.09X- 9600.

1. What is the interest rate and how does it affect my finances?

The interest rate is the percentage at which a financial institution charges for borrowing money. It can greatly impact your finances as it determines the cost of borrowing money for loans and credit cards. A higher interest rate means you will pay more in interest over time, while a lower interest rate can save you money in the long run.

2. How is the interest rate determined?

The interest rate is determined by various factors such as inflation, economic conditions, and central bank policies. In most cases, the central bank sets the interest rate as a way to control the money supply and stimulate or slow down the economy.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and variable interest rate?

A fixed interest rate remains the same throughout the loan or credit period, while a variable interest rate can change based on market conditions. With a fixed interest rate, you will know exactly how much you will pay in interest each month, while a variable interest rate can fluctuate and potentially increase your monthly payments.

4. How do differential equations relate to interest rates?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a system changes over time. In finance, they are used to model and predict interest rates and how they may change over time. Understanding differential equations can help economists and financial analysts make informed decisions about interest rates and their impact on the economy.

5. How can I calculate the interest rate on a loan or credit card?

The interest rate on a loan or credit card can be calculated using the formula: Interest Rate = (Interest/Principal) x (100/Time). Interest is the amount charged by the lender, principal is the initial amount borrowed, and time is the duration of the loan or credit period. You can also use online calculators or consult with a financial advisor for more accurate calculations.