The Sun and Nuclear Power Plants

In summary: Those are the questions in the chart. The two things being compared are "Nuclear Power Plant (Not Fossil Fueled)" and "the Sun".1. (Nuclear) A nuclear power plant’s fuel source is Uranium. (Sun) The Sun’s fuel sources are hydrogen and helium.2. (Nuclear) Energy is produced/released through fission. (Sun) Energy is produced/released through fusion.3. If any of that is wrong, let me know.:biggrin:Anyways, the teacher gave us seven different links to use and that's too much for me to handle. Why he can't give us a few links is beyond me
AngelShare
Nuclear Power Plants and the Sun

I need some help again...:frown:

1. What are the fuel sources?

2. How is the fuel used to produce/release energy?

3. What are the similarities in the way they produce energy?

4. Are there any health hazards associated with the way they produce energy?

5. Why is energy released when the nuclear reactions take place? Talk about this using your research on the forces that hold the nucleus of an atom together.

Those are the questions in the chart. The two things being compared are "Nuclear Power Plant (Not Fossil Fueled)" and "the Sun".
I have the first two answered... 1. (Nuclear) A nuclear power plant’s fuel source is Uranium. (Sun) The Sun’s fuel sources are hydrogen and helium. 2. (Nuclear) Energy is produced/released through fission. (Sun) Energy is produced/released through fusion.

If any of that is wrong, let me know.:biggrin:

Anyways, the teacher gave us seven different links to use and that's too much for me to handle. Why he can't give us a few links is beyond me but looking at seven different links only to find that at least four of them confuse you is really very irritating (Some make me feel like I'm jumping into the middle of something after having missed the beginning). I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a link or a few links to sites that would answer my questions but explain everything in my language...in other words, this is my weak subject, please don't explain something to me using words and phrases I may mistake for Russian.:rofl:

I'd take either a link or an explanation from a person, either way, I can't hack going through pages and pages of unrelated information.

EDIT: Tell me, does http://www.astro.uva.nl/demo/od95/" particular link have anything to do with my worksheet because I got to where they were talking about solar winds or whatever and realized I still didn't have any actual answers.:grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Helium is not a fuel in the Sun. For fusion of Helium atoms to take place, there has to be enormous amounts of pressure and heat. Stars start to burn up helium when they start wondering off of the main-sequence and are becoming red-giants.

Sam.

So, besides that, what I have down is right? I read that Helium is a fuel somewhere so I'll have to double check.

Does anyone have a link for me though? I'd appreciate a link or hands on help...well, as hands on as one could get online.:rofl:

Well you're right on #1 and #2.

The only basically similarity is that nuclear processes are involved, the potential nuclear energy is transformed into thermal (kinetic) energy. Otherwise nuclear (fission) reactors and the Sun are entirely different.

Perhaps some other similarities -

They both require a critical mass to maintain the process, and they both produce reactants (generically 'ash'), which affect the ability maintain the process.

In nuclear fission, there needs to be sufficient U-235 (or U-233, or Pu-239) to achieve and maintain the 'chain-reaction'. As the enrichment (fraction) of U-235 or other fissile isotopes increases, the critical mass decreases. Similarly, there is a minimum mass for a large mass of H to become a star.

Both fission and fusion generate gamma-radiation, and X-ray radiation, both of which are harmful to humans - so shielding of reactors is required. The Sun is just far away - but enough UV light reaches the Earth that some protection is needed - Ozone layer, atmosphere, and clothing or sun-screen, and shelter/shade.

Reactors produce radioactive by-products (spent nuclear fuel) which needs to be segregated from the environment and living things.

#5 - Binding energy - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nucene/nucbin.html#c1 (look at second plate) as well as your text.

1. How does the sun affect nuclear power plants?

The sun does not directly affect nuclear power plants. However, solar radiation can cause fluctuations in the power grid, which can impact the stability of nuclear power plants. Solar storms and solar flares can also disrupt the power grid and potentially cause power outages at nuclear power plants.

2. Is nuclear power derived from the sun?

No, nuclear power is not derived from the sun. It is derived from the process of nuclear fission, where atoms are split to release energy. This process does not involve the sun.

3. Can nuclear power plants harness solar energy?

No, nuclear power plants do not harness solar energy. They use nuclear reactors to generate heat, which is then converted into electricity. Solar energy is harnessed through the use of solar panels or solar thermal systems, which are not part of nuclear power plants.

4. How do nuclear power plants protect against solar radiation?

Nuclear power plants have thick concrete walls and steel shields that protect the reactors and other critical components from solar radiation. Additionally, the nuclear fuel rods are designed to withstand high levels of radiation and have protective casings to prevent any leaks.

5. Can a nuclear power plant explode like the sun?

No, a nuclear power plant cannot explode like the sun. The sun's energy is generated through nuclear fusion, which is a much more powerful process than nuclear fission used in nuclear power plants. Nuclear power plants have multiple safety measures in place to prevent any explosions or other catastrophic events.