Questions on electrons incident on a metal surface

In summary, the work function of a metal determines the minimum energy required to extract an electron from the surface, and any electrons with energy equal to or greater than the work function will be reflected. The energy distribution of the incident electrons can be derived using the Boltzmann velocity distribution, and the fraction of electrons reflected can be found by integrating the distribution from the work function to infinity.
b2c3yun

Homework Statement

Electrons with kinetic energy E are incident normally from vacuum on a metal surface. The work function of the metal is F. Calculate the fraction of electrons reflected from the surface. Neglect any temperature effects.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since work function is defined as the minimal energy required to extract one electron from the metal, all the electrons with energy larger than F will be reflected.

From statistical mechanics, the so-called "electrons with kinetic energy E" are actually electrons with an energy distribution. My feeling is the this E is the average energy from this distribution. And the fraction of electrons reflected is the fraction of electrons with energy larger than F in this distribution. But I am wondering how I can get the distribution. Should I use Boltzman velocity distribution and derive the energy distribution? Or should it be a Gaussian distribution peaked at E? It never indicates the temperature in the problem, but I feel temperature should matter here.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

You are correct in thinking that the work function determines the minimum energy required to extract an electron from the metal surface. This means that any electrons with energy equal to or greater than the work function will be reflected from the surface.

As for the energy distribution of the incident electrons, it is important to note that the average kinetic energy, E, is not the same as the maximum kinetic energy. The maximum kinetic energy will depend on the temperature of the electrons, which is not given in the problem. Therefore, it is not necessary to consider the temperature effects in this calculation.

To determine the fraction of electrons reflected, you can use the Boltzmann velocity distribution to derive the energy distribution. This will give you a Gaussian distribution peaked at E, which is the average kinetic energy. Then, you can integrate this distribution from F to infinity to find the fraction of electrons with energy larger than F, which will be the fraction reflected from the surface.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a metal surface when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency or energy. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905 through his theory of photons.

2. How do electrons behave when they are incident on a metal surface?

When electrons are incident on a metal surface, they can either be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed. The behavior of electrons depends on the energy of the incident electrons, the properties of the metal surface, and the angle of incidence.

3. What happens if the energy of the incident electrons is below the metal's work function?

If the energy of the incident electrons is below the metal's work function, the electrons will not have enough energy to overcome the surface barrier and will not be able to escape the metal surface. This is known as the threshold frequency or threshold energy.

4. Can the number of emitted electrons be controlled?

Yes, the number of emitted electrons can be controlled by adjusting the intensity of the incident light. The higher the intensity of the light, the more electrons will be emitted from the metal surface.

5. How does the number of emitted electrons depend on the frequency of the incident light?

According to the photoelectric effect, the number of emitted electrons is directly proportional to the frequency of the incident light. This means that as the frequency of the incident light increases, the number of emitted electrons also increases.