Stick and waves

by Numeriprimi
Tags: corner, stick, waves
Numeriprimi
Feb28-13, 04:38 AM
P: 138
Hello. I have got question.
We have stick (its diameter is much smaller than its length). When you hit it with a hammer into a corner, some waves will spread, it is clear. However, how do they look? I'm interested in longitudinal oscillations stick. How can draw these wavefront? How their shape will change with time? How can I express numerically? Wave reaches the second end of the rod, and then reflected back to the point of contact. Is this correct? And then?

Thanks and sorry for my English.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Drakkith
Feb28-13, 02:54 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,056
This is pretty hard to try to explain in a thread, especially the drawing parts and how they change over time. Do you know anything about wave equations?
Numeriprimi
Feb28-13, 03:19 PM
P: 138
The wave equation ... I've seen it, but never really understood, it is hardcore for me yet :-( . I must solve an example with it? It is needed for drawing wavefront?

Register to reply