Integration by parts, don't quite know how to arrive at the given answer

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution for finding dcB in a diffusion problem, using concentration data given in fraction form. This involves applying the chain rule and using the identity d(ln(x)) = dx/x. The conversation also includes a clarification about the use of "d" in the problem and a reminder of the identity.
DiffusConfuse
I am assuming that the solution was arrived at through integration by parts, however I am not able to completely work through it.

First given: cB= XB/Vm

the next step shows the solution to dcB given as:

dcB=(1-dlnVm/dlnxB)(dxB/Vm)

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no clue what you mean here. "d" usually indicates a derivative, not an integral. Could please specify what is the entire problem here.

That is the entire problem, it was just written in a paper as such. I am aware that d usually means derivative. It shows dc is used in a diffusion problem and here the aim is to use concentration data that is given in fraction form i.e. mole fraction over volume.

It's just applying the chain rule and collecting terms. First, notice that:
[tex]d(ln(x)) = \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
Then, apply the chain rule to the original differentiation:
[tex]d(c_B) = d(\frac{x_B}{v_m}) = \frac{dx_B}{v_m}-\frac{x_B dv_m}{v_m^2} = \frac{dx_B}{v_m}(1-\frac{x_B}{v_m}\frac{dv_m}{dx_B}) = \frac{dx_B}{v_m}(1-\frac{d(ln(v_m))}{d(ln(x_B))})[/tex]

thank you, did not remember that identity

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used to integrate a product of two functions, where one function can be differentiated and the other can be integrated.

How do I know when to use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of functions, and other methods like substitution or partial fractions are not applicable.

What are the steps to solving an integral using integration by parts?

The steps to solving an integral using integration by parts are:

• Identify the functions to be used in the formula: u and v
  • Choose u to be the function that can be differentiated and v to be the function that can be integrated.
  • Use the formula: ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du to solve the integral.
  • Simplify and solve for the integral.

Can I use integration by parts to solve any integral?

No, integration by parts can only be used to solve integrals that involve a product of functions. Other methods may be needed for different types of integrals.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts are:

• Choosing the wrong functions for u and v in the formula.
  • Forgetting to include the negative sign when integrating v.
  • Forgetting to simplify and solve for the integral after using the formula.