Where is the mistake in this reasoning about differential forms?

In summary, the conversation discusses a lemma from Lee 2003: Introduction to Smooth Manifolds regarding the chain rule for exterior differentiation of differential 0-forms. It states that the pullback of a sum of forms in a coordinate chart is equal to the pullback of the same sum of forms composed with the coordinate chart. However, the speaker is confused about the use of primed expressions and objects such as dF and y'. The responder clarifies that these objects do not make sense and must be used carefully when considering what operations are valid for different types of maps.
Rasalhague
Lee 2003: Introduction to Smooth Manifolds ( http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eqfgZtjQceYC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false ) (search eg. for "computational"), Lemma 12.10 (b), p. 304:

In any coordinate chart

[tex]F^*\left ( \sum_I \omega_I \; dy^{i_1} \wedge ... \wedge dy^{i_k} \right )[/tex]

[tex] = F^*\left ( \sum_I \omega_I \circ F \; d(y^{i_1} \circ F) \wedge ... \wedge d(y^{i_k} \circ F) \right )[/tex]

where [itex]I[/itex] is an increasing multi-index: [itex](i_1,...i_k)[/itex] with each value less than or equal to all those to the right of it. This PDF of lecture notes gives the following chain rule for exterior differentiation of differential 0-forms:

[itex]d(h \circ f) = h' \circ f \; df.[/tex]

But that implies

[tex]d(y^{i_\alpha} \circ F) = (y^{i_\alpha})' \circ F \; dF[/tex]

and however we interpret the primed expression, more than one [itex]dF[/itex] wedged together equals 0. I assume this is not the case, as the lemma is supposed to give "a computational rule for pullbacks of di fferential forms". Where have I made a mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In that chain rule, f is a map from a manifold to reals, and h is a map from reals to reals. Of course we know what h' and df are.

F is a map between manifolds, [itex]f:M\to N[/itex]. The y's are coordinate charts, maps from manifolds to subsets of Euclidean space, [itex]y:N\to \mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. What does y' mean? And what about dF? These are objects which don't make sense. You must be very careful to remember what objects these functions map between, and what operations make sense on what sort of maps.

I see. Thanks for your reply, Henry.

1. What are differential forms?

Differential forms are mathematical objects used in differential geometry and multivariable calculus to describe and analyze the behavior of functions on differentiable manifolds. They are a generalization of vector fields and are used to represent quantities such as flux, work, and circulation.

2. How are differential forms related to calculus?

Differential forms play a crucial role in calculus, as they allow for the generalization of classical concepts such as derivatives, gradients, and integrals to higher dimensions. They also provide a powerful tool for solving problems in multivariable calculus, such as the generalized Stokes' theorem.

3. What is the mistake in reasoning about differential forms?

The most common mistake when dealing with differential forms is assuming that they are just another type of vector. While differential forms do have some similarities to vectors, they are fundamentally different objects with their own unique properties and rules of manipulation. Treating them as vectors can lead to incorrect conclusions and solutions.

4. Can differential forms be used in physics?

Yes, differential forms have many applications in physics, particularly in the fields of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. They provide a powerful mathematical framework for describing and analyzing physical phenomena in multiple dimensions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of differential forms?

There are numerous real-world applications of differential forms across various fields, including engineering, computer graphics, robotics, and economics. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. For example, differential forms are used in computer graphics to represent and manipulate smooth surfaces, and in economics to study the flow of goods and services in a market economy.