Is the graph of f(x)=1/x a closed set?

In summary, the graph of f(x)=1/x is a closed set because it contains all of its limit points and its complement is open, satisfying the definition of a closed set. Additionally, there are no sequences contained in the graph that converge to 0, making it a closed set under the alternative definition.
yifli
f(x)=1/x closed set??

A book I'm reading now says the graph of f(x)=1/x is a closed set, how come??

Its range is [tex][(-\infty,0)\cup (0, \infty)[/tex]. A set is closed iff every convergent sequence has a limit point in the set. If a sequence converges to 0, then 0 is not in the range

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you're forgetting part of your definition for closed.

A set [itex]S \subseteq \mathbb{R}^2[/itex] is closed if it contains all of its limit points, i.e. if every convergent sequence contained in S converges to a point in S. There are no sequences contained in the graph of f(x) = 1/x that converge to 0.

An alternative definition for closed may make it easier to see that this set is closed. A set is closed if and only if its complement is open. The complement of the graph is certainly open, since for any point not contained in the graph, we can find an open disc containing the point that doesn't intersect the graph.

Last edited:

The graph is the subset of [itex] mathbb{R}\oplus mathbb{R} [/itex]

[tex] \mathcal{G} = \left\{\mathbb{R}-\{0}, \mathbb{R}-\{0\}\right\} [/tex]

This is closed, since all sequences from this set converge to elements of this set in the metric topology.

spamiam said:
I think you're forgetting part of your definition for closed.

A set [itex]S \subseteq \mathbb{R}[/itex] is closed if it contains all of its limit points, i.e. if every convergent sequence contained in S converges to a point in S. There are no sequences contained in the graph of f(x) = 1/x that converge to 0.

what about sequence {1/n}?

As dextercioby pointed out, and as I should have, the graph is actually a subset of [itex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/itex], so I think your sequence would have to be {(n, 1/n)}, which doesn't converge, since the first coordinate goes to infinity.

1. What is a closed set?

A closed set is a set that includes all of its limit points. This means that if you draw a circle around any point in the set, that circle will also contain other points within the set.

2. How is a closed set different from an open set?

An open set is a set that does not include all of its limit points. This means that if you draw a circle around any point in the set, there may be points outside of the set within that circle.

3. Is the set {1, 2, 3} a closed set?

Yes, the set {1, 2, 3} is a closed set because it includes all of its limit points. In this case, the limit points are also the points within the set itself.

4. How is the function f(x) = 1/x related to a closed set?

The function f(x) = 1/x is related to a closed set because it represents a set of points on a graph that are all connected and do not have any gaps or holes. This is similar to how a closed set includes all of its limit points.

5. Can a closed set also be an open set?

No, a set cannot be both closed and open at the same time. A set is either closed or open depending on whether or not it includes all of its limit points. However, there are sets that are neither closed nor open, known as half-open or half-closed sets.