Managing Wisdom Tooth Pain and Potential Complications

• Medical
  • Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, the person has a pain in their upper left side due to a wisdom tooth that is growing. The pain is so intense that they are starting to think that the lower wisdom tooth may also be growing and causes pain. The person also has a courseload of 28 hours/week and is starting to feel that the pain will not decrease. They are also scared about the operation and its consequences.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hey, since yesterday night I have a terrible pain on my upper left side in the mouth. It's due to a wisdom tooth that is growing. The pain is so intense that I'm starting to think that maybe the lower wisdom tooth is also growing and causes me pain. My head hurts (the left side of it).
So I've read on the Internet that some operations turn bad and I could stay facially paralysed for my whole life if the dentist hurt some nerve. I've read what a lot of people went through, after the operation turned bad.
Further I'm starting the first week of the term and I really need to study. I've been studying but the pain is really bothering me now. I have a courseload of 28 hours/week so I could eventually be operated only from next Friday. I just wonder if the pain will decrease, because I don't see myself suffering that much (night is terrible) for so long.
Also, I have 0 confidence with my dentist for several reasons. But I wouldn't mind to get rid of this hurting tooth! I'm just scared about the operation and its consequences.

A little question maybe: Is it possible to get rid of only 1 tooth? Or will I have to get rid of the 2 upper ones, because otherwise my other upper teeth could get pushed on one side? I prefer to ask you the question, I do not trust my dentist at all.
Thanks for any comment!
Ah, and lastly : OUCH!

Biology news on Phys.org
It sounds like your tooth may be impacted (growing into a bone or no room) and needs to be removed. The consequences of an impacted tooth that's causing pain far exceeds any remote possibility of the procedure going wrong. Get to a dentist right away.

Facial paralysis is extremely rare. A much more likely (but still rare) side effect is that removal of the lower wisdom tooth can break your jaw in the area. If that happens, they'll have to wire your jaw shut for 6 weeks, you won't be able to talk and you will have to eat through a straw. But it'll heal without any long-term damage.

Don't worry about your dentist. He shouldn't be the one doing the removal anyway. He should refer you to an oral surgeon.

Just get the tooth removed. I had a cracked wisdom tooth and went to the dentist the same day. The pain was unbelievably bad.

hamster143 said:
Don't worry about your dentist. He shouldn't be the one doing the removal anyway. He should refer you to an oral surgeon.

Not true... do you think the only job for a dentist to do is filling cavities? Only in rare emergency situations or a situation where surgery is necessary do you go to a oral surgeon. Removing a 3rd molar is the same as removing any other tooth, a main difference however is that the 3rd molar regularly grows abnormally due to our smaller jaw sizes than our ancestors.

All that they do to remove your wisdom tooth is cut the gum away from it... and then they wiggle it and jiggle it until it's ok to pull it out. They then stitch you up. The reason for the wiggling/jiggling is that the tooth is firmly rooted into the jaw bone so you can't just rip it out. Sometimes the tooth needs to be broken in half/smaller pieces but the procedure is basically the same only they do it in parts. I wouldn't be afraid of side-effects occurring if you have to have the tooth removed at all... it's a very common procedure. I think something like 9/10 people have impacted 3rd molars... very common. Impaction occurs for many reason, the tooth may be hitting bone, another tooth, or it could even be impacted by the gums themselves.

You should go to the dentist though and get it checked out first, I'd suggest going to your doctors office as well. A majority of the time when a tooth is impacted the pain isn't from the impaction but from an infection... and oral infections can become quite serious so you should go and get that checked out to see if you need any anti-biotics. Always inform your dentist when you are on anti-biotics especially regarding an oral-infection. If it does turn out that you will need to have your wisdom tooth removed maybe you could look into going to get it done at another dental office, if you do not trust your dentist in the procedure.

EDIT: as well be sure if you do get it pulled to FOLLOW what your dentist instructs you to do and take anything prescribed to you. If you do not follow what your dentist instructs you to do it can result in VERY painful and even dangerous infections in your mouth. Very important you listen.

Pull it out yourself with a pair of pliers and wash the blood out with whiskey!

Or go see a dentist, either or.

Thanks for the replies. :smile:
I can feel the upper left tooth with my hand, it has almost emerged totally. At least it has almost (maybe 70%) the same level as my other molars. I don't see how it can grow into a bone, or can it? Ok, maybe it has a very tiny room (I can feel some place for it with my fingers, but very smalls. A few millimeters maybe, it's hard to judge with a finger. I'd say 2 millimeters). It hurts anyway.
Wow, about the possibility of a broken jaw... Seems like the perfect excuse to learn the sign language. I don't really mind not to talk for so long, but I don't want to suffer from a bone break.

I believe the dentist (a female) is the one who do the surgery, along with another person. Should I do a radiography of my mouth to see where are the nerves? Unfortunately I don't have any social welfare or I don't know how it's called. I mean, if I have to do some radiography, I'll have to pay it and will receive no money from anyone. I'm having a hard time financially, but if it is the way to go, it's the way to go. The same apply for the operation.
Should I take aspirins now? What about the days before the operation? I guess now is ok, but later no because I may blood more during and after the operation.

fluidistic said:
Thanks for the replies. :smile:
I can feel the upper left tooth with my hand, it has almost emerged totally. At least it has almost (maybe 70%) the same level as my other molars. I don't see how it can grow into a bone, or can it? Ok, maybe it has a very tiny room (I can feel some place for it with my fingers, but very smalls. A few millimeters maybe, it's hard to judge with a finger. I'd say 2 millimeters). It hurts anyway.
Wow, about the possibility of a broken jaw... Seems like the perfect excuse to learn the sign language. I don't really mind not to talk for so long, but I don't want to suffer from a bone break.

I believe the dentist (a female) is the one who do the surgery, along with another person. Should I do a radiography of my mouth to see where are the nerves? Unfortunately I don't have any social welfare or I don't know how it's called. I mean, if I have to do some radiography, I'll have to pay it and will receive no money from anyone. I'm having a hard time financially, but if it is the way to go, it's the way to go. The same apply for the operation.
Should I take aspirins now? What about the days before the operation? I guess now is ok, but later no because I may blood more during and after the operation.

Yeah you can take some pain killers, I still suggest you go to the doctors office to get in looked at, just to be safe.

As far as insurance etc. goes, if it causes you enough pain you might be able to go into emergency oral surgery which depending where you live could be free. :tongue:. I know here in Canada dentistry in some areas is quite expensive, especially longer procedures. However if you get the same procedure done in a hospital it's 100% free including the meds they give to you :smile:

zomgwtf said:
Not true... do you think the only job for a dentist to do is filling cavities? Only in rare emergency situations or a situation where surgery is necessary do you go to a oral surgeon. Removing a 3rd molar is the same as removing any other tooth, a main difference however is that the 3rd molar regularly grows abnormally due to our smaller jaw sizes than our ancestors.

All that they do to remove your wisdom tooth is cut the gum away from it... and then they wiggle it and jiggle it until it's ok to pull it out. They then stitch you up. The reason for the wiggling/jiggling is that the tooth is firmly rooted into the jaw bone so you can't just rip it out. Sometimes the tooth needs to be broken in half/smaller pieces but the procedure is basically the same only they do it in parts. I wouldn't be afraid of side-effects occurring if you have to have the tooth removed at all... it's a very common procedure. I think something like 9/10 people have impacted 3rd molars... very common. Impaction occurs for many reason, the tooth may be hitting bone, another tooth, or it could even be impacted by the gums themselves.

You should go to the dentist though and get it checked out first, I'd suggest going to your doctors office as well. A majority of the time when a tooth is impacted the pain isn't from the impaction but from an infection... and oral infections can become quite serious so you should go and get that checked out to see if you need any anti-biotics. Always inform your dentist when you are on anti-biotics especially regarding an oral-infection. If it does turn out that you will need to have your wisdom tooth removed maybe you could look into going to get it done at another dental office, if you do not trust your dentist in the procedure.

EDIT: as well be sure if you do get it pulled to FOLLOW what your dentist instructs you to do and take anything prescribed to you. If you do not follow what your dentist instructs you to do it can result in VERY painful and even dangerous infections in your mouth. Very important you listen.
That's a bit reassuring. I do not have a personal doctor. I came here alone in Argentina to earn my bachelor's degree and I do not have what I used to have in France, namely a personal doctor, a security welfare, etc. I think I'm going to go to the dentist I used to go, even though I'm not sure she's really a good dentist. I know her first reaction will be "oh nice, let's remove your 4 wisdom teeth or you'll have to come back in months anyway".
I always listen to doctors and take the medications religiously. Unless and only in the case I'm prescribed a painkiller (medications are more expensive than in any country I know and many times I don't suffer as much as to take some pills).

zomgwtf said:
Yeah you can take some pain killers, I still suggest you go to the doctors office to get in looked at, just to be safe.

As far as insurance etc. goes, if it causes you enough pain you might be able to go into emergency oral surgery which depending where you live could be free. :tongue:. I know here in Canada dentistry in some areas is quite expensive, especially longer procedures. However if you get the same procedure done in a hospital it's 100% free including the meds they give to you :smile:

The public hospital of my city (second largest of Argentina) is a joke. I've been many times there, it's more than overloaded. They could fix a problem maybe within 3 months, the time taken to die of meningitis or anything else. In case of an urgency I'd seek a semi private clinic. Plus, I'd have to pay anyway the meds and consultation in the public hospital.

Ack, you are a foreign national in Argentina. They should always take an x-ray of the tooth before deciding how to procede. It turned out that one of my teeth that needed to be extracted had the root wrapped around the tooth next to it. I had to be referred to an oral surgeon and put to sleep so they could cut it out of my jaw. Does the social medical care in France cover you outside the country? My private insurance covers me outside the US, so I am curious how socialized medical care works. I know that the coverage is transferable within the EU.

Evo said:
Ack, you are a foreign national in Argentina. They should always take an x-ray of the tooth before deciding how to procede. It turned out that one of my teeth that needed to be extracted had the root wrapped around the tooth next to it. I had to be referred to an oral surgeon and put to sleep so they could cut it out of my jaw. Does the social medical care in France cover you outside the country? My private insurance covers me outside the US, so I am curious how socialized medical care works. I know that the coverage is transferable within the EU.

Ok very nice to know. No, I'm not covered by the French social medical care. I don't remember why, I think it's because I'm living here rather than visiting, but I'm not sure of the reason.
Ok, I will take a radiography. Last time I did it was in 2006 I believe, thanks to the dentist. They don't have these devices where she works, so she told me to go somewhere else on another day and then come back with the result. I went to the place (I remember it was rainy) and a 95 years old man I'd say who was walking at an ant velocity (I'm not kidding!) took me the radiography on what seemed an old machine. I don't really feel secure. I just hope they bought another machine.

Hey, I took an aspirin maybe 15 minutes ago and I don't know if it's a placebo effect or luck or real, but the pain is tolerable. It's not even 20% it was 20 minutes ago. Nice!

I'd like to know Evo if they removed only 1 tooth rather than 2. Is it possible to remove only 1 tooth? Or will it deform the position of all my upper teeth?

Ah, in Argentina, well if you don't feel comfortable with the situation you could just go to the doctor as you were planning and then see what they say/prescribe and then live with it for a bit. As long as there is no major infections you shouldn't have any problems. Generally your teeth do hurt when they are growing in as they are trying to make room etc. but this will subside. The fact that you say that you can see the wisdom tooth partially errupting is a good sign, as long as it fully comes out of the gums you should be clear and not even need any oral work done.

As well @ your question: it is possible to remove only 1 tooth and it will not effect your other teeth. The thing is though, that if the dentist notices that your other wisdom teeth may lead to problems or is currently a problem they will remove them at the same time.

zomgwtf said:
Ah, in Argentina, well if you don't feel comfortable with the situation you could just go to the doctor as you were planning and then see what they say/prescribe and then live with it for a bit. As long as there is no major infections you shouldn't have any problems. Generally your teeth do hurt when they are growing in as they are trying to make room etc. but this will subside. The fact that you say that you can see the wisdom tooth partially errupting is a good sign, as long as it fully comes out of the gums you should be clear and not even need any oral work done.

As well @ your question: it is possible to remove only 1 tooth and it will not effect your other teeth. The thing is though, that if the dentist notices that your other wisdom teeth may lead to problems or is currently a problem they will remove them at the same time.

Ok. That's a good news if I don't NEED to remove my tooth, i.e. if it has enough room and no major problem occur. I should see this with the dentist, but I already know she'll want to remove it along with the others. I will see how the pain goes, but I will go to the dentist anyway and if she doesn't say an operation is URGENT then I won't get operated.
I think I'm lucky my wisdom teeth are growing in a somehow good position I believe.
Thanks for all. I'll keep this thread alive as I have more information.

fluidistic said:
Ok. That's a good news if I don't NEED to remove my tooth, i.e. if it has enough room and no major problem occur. I should see this with the dentist, but I already know she'll want to remove it along with the others. I will see how the pain goes, but I will go to the dentist anyway and if she doesn't say an operation is URGENT then I won't get operated.
I think I'm lucky my wisdom teeth are growing in a somehow good position I believe.
Thanks for all. I'll keep this thread alive as I have more information.
Good luck! If you feel any excessive swelling and pain in the gum around the tooth, have it checked for infection. The tooth can abscess and then you have a problem.

Evo said:
Good luck! If you feel any excessive swelling and pain in the gum around the tooth, have it checked for infection. The tooth can abscess and then you have a problem.

Thanks. :approve:
I'll ask the dentist and probably take her phone number just in case of emergency.

Removing the 3rd molar is a difficult job, because the tooth is remarkably hard to access. Especially if it's impacted. Normal dentist can probably pull out one non-impacted wisdom tooth if he tries hard enough, but, beyond that, oral surgeon is the way to go.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed at an oral surgery clinic under general anesthesia (wouldn't have even been possible in a regular dentist's office). Painless and interesting experience.

I guess things here in Canada work differently then.

zomgwtf said:

Maybe. In the U.S., most dentist offices are tiny businesses, with one licensed dentist (rarely two), a receptionist and a couple of nurses. They have the capacity to do x-rays, fillings, simple extractions, and root canals. They can install crowns, but they can't manufacture them (therefore they have to outsource manufacturing to third-party labs). Serious stuff like wisdom teeth and implants is outsourced to oral surgery clinics.

Fluidistic: you should not take aspirin prior to receiving an operation or extraction. If you've taken aspirin anywhere in the week prior to the procedure, you should tell your doctor. Aspirin thins the blood and reduces the blood clotting mechanism, which can lead to excessive bleeding.

Monique said:
Fluidistic: you should not take aspirin prior to receiving an operation or extraction. If you've taken aspirin anywhere in the week prior to the procedure, you should tell your doctor. Aspirin thins the blood and reduces the blood clotting mechanism, which can lead to excessive bleeding.

Oh, that was my doubt. I thought that after 2 days my blood would return as it was before... but I'll let the dentist know.

An update: Now it's the lower left wisdom tooth. I think it was it yesterday also, but the pain was so diffuse I thought it was the upper one. I couldn't sleep until 4 am, when I decided to wake up due to the pain and I prepared some ice cube, I drunk a very cold water which killed the pain for seconds and then I took a half of aspirin. After 30 minutes I think I could sleep. I was awakened every 2 hours due to the pain and I woke up at 10 because it hurts too bad. My lower gingiva is swollen, I can't even close my mouth. My throat also hurts so that I don't know if it's the tooth or really my throat. I've tried to feel some ganglia in my neck, but I can't feel any. I don't think I have fever, hence I don't think I have an infection. But I find strange that my gingiva hurts that much and is so swollen...
There's no doctor working on weekends so I can't check out. Tomorrow I have 8 hours of class, I'd never miss a single class. So maybe on Tuesday afternoon (I have class from 9am to 1pm). Oh wait... the cousin of my girlfriend is a doctor, I don't know is she could examine me... I'll try to ask my gf if I can call her cousin.

I won't take any medic now, so you can tell me what do you think I have. (Just to make an idea).

Edit: Just called my girlfriend and I won't see her cousin, she lives too far away. I could call the dentist, but I already know what she'll say, that I've an infection and she will tell me to buy some antibiotics. In fact I need to be examined, words cannot fully describe what is the situation I'm having. Anyway, my girlfriend told me the dentist gave her dorixina to kill the pain. I've read on the Internet and it seems a medic I could take, but if I'm going to have the tooth pulled out, I prefer not to take anything. Unless the pain increases and some doctor here tell me there's absolutely no problem to take a dorixina pill (I'd use it just to be able to sleep).

Edit 2: I called the dentist, she told me to buy an antibiotic (azitomicina) and Ibuprofeno. I already took 1 pill of each. I've probably an infection it seems, though she didn't really tell me. She pronounced a word which sounded like an inflammation of something. I'll see her next week.

Last edited:
well you can feel aroudn your jaw and the sides of the bottom of your jaw for an inflammation or infection. It could feel tender in areas and it will tell you how far the infection has gone.

The only reason I said you should take pain killers was because normally to have a tooth extraction such as the wisdom tooth you need to go in for an assessment etc. so I doubted you'd be having your tooth extracted within the next 2 weeks even, especially since it sounded as though it was infected. Make sure you take all the antibiotics though and follow the instructions... even if it seems you've gotten better don't stop taking them

zomgwtf said:
well you can feel aroudn your jaw and the sides of the bottom of your jaw for an inflammation or infection. It could feel tender in areas and it will tell you how far the infection has gone.

The only reason I said you should take pain killers was because normally to have a tooth extraction such as the wisdom tooth you need to go in for an assessment etc. so I doubted you'd be having your tooth extracted within the next 2 weeks even, especially since it sounded as though it was infected. Make sure you take all the antibiotics though and follow the instructions... even if it seems you've gotten better don't stop taking them

Yeah I'm going to take them all. Ibuprofen has done its job, I don't feel almost any pain now, incredible. I'm so tired, I'm going to take a rest for now...

Just to help reassure you a bit since you're worried about the quality of the dentists. Usually, when there are complications of branches of the facial nerve getting injured and causing paralysis, it's not due to incompetence of the dentist, it's due to the nerve already traveling in a path that puts it in the way of the roots of the tooth being pulled. The same complication could happen even with the tooth being removed by a highly qualified oral surgeon. It's pretty rare that it does that.

The complications of an impacted wisdom tooth are far worse than the risk of damaging that nerve.

Moonbear said:
Just to help reassure you a bit since you're worried about the quality of the dentists. Usually, when there are complications of branches of the facial nerve getting injured and causing paralysis, it's not due to incompetence of the dentist, it's due to the nerve already traveling in a path that puts it in the way of the roots of the tooth being pulled. The same complication could happen even with the tooth being removed by a highly qualified oral surgeon. It's pretty rare that it does that.

The complications of an impacted wisdom tooth are far worse than the risk of damaging that nerve.

Thanks for the information, nice to know. My dentist was kind enough to tell me what to buy and take. I can now close my mouth normally although I still have some pain but I can live without ibuprofen for now. So I'm getting better.
About a possible surgery: so it's almost necessary to take a radiography of my mouth before the surgery. So that I don't become the unlucky guy who get paralysed.

zomgwtf said:
Maybe. For many people, though (ie, me), removing a 3rd molar requires a hammer and chisel and that wasn't part of your description. It seems to me you just don't relize how difficult the extraction can really be.
• Your surgeon will make a small cut into your gum to get to the tooth underneath.
• Then, he or she will remove bone around the tooth and take out the tooth. A drill is usually used, but sometimes the operation is done with a small chisel.
• Depending on the position of the tooth, your dentist or surgeon may need to cut the tooth into pieces to make it easier to take out. A saltwater spray is put into your mouth to wash away blood and bits of tooth.
• Once the tooth is removed, your surgeon will stitch your gum back up using stitches that will dissolve.
http://www.teethremoval.com/extraction.html

Whether that is something any good dentist in Canada can do, I don't know, but teeth require so much regular maintenance that the US system seems reasonable to me. Most people in the US go every 6-12 months and the vast majority of the time just get cleanings, cavities filled, root canals, and crowns.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Maybe. For many people, though (ie, me), removing a 3rd molar requires a hammer and chisel and that wasn't part of your description. It seems to me you just don't relize how difficult the extraction can really be.
This is part of breaking the tooth into parts if they are unable to just wiggle it free, obviously I gave a simplified breakdown of extraction of a tooth if you want however I can lay it out in full detail for you... not sure what that'd accomplish since it doesn't change the fact that an oral surgeon is not required for a tooth extraction.

Whether that is something any good dentist in Canada can do, I don't know, but teeth require so much regular maintenance that the US system seems reasonable to me. Most people in the US go every 6-12 months and the vast majority of the time just get cleanings, cavities filled, root canals, and crowns.

Cleanings/cavities can be done by hygenist, well the cavities can be as long as they are prepped by the dentist prior. Root canals and crowns are both also done by dentist yeah, and most Canadians go twice a year for cleanings plus whatever other work is needed. That's what's suggested anyways (AFAIK).

zomgwtf said:
This is part of breaking the tooth into parts if they are unable to just wiggle it free, obviously I gave a simplified breakdown of extraction of a tooth if you want however I can lay it out in full detail for you... not sure what that'd accomplish since it doesn't change the fact that an oral surgeon is not required for a tooth extraction. [emphasis added]
I'm not trying to be pedantic, I brought it up because cracking the tooth or jaw is the complicating factor that turns a simple tooth extraction with local anesthetic into a real oral surgery procedure: not all tooth extractions are the same and it is common for wisdom tooth extractions to require oral surgery.

I'm just saying this because what you suggest doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Do typical dentists offices in Canada have an anesthesiologist on staff? Are they large offies? As said above by someone else, in the US a dentist's office typically has only one dentist and the rest are hygeinists/technicians. One of the reasons I see for a dedicated oral surgery office is that when you do a lot of surgery it becomes economical to have an anesthesiologist on staff to do dozens of procedures a week instead of hanging around a dentit's office to do a couple a month. I just don't see how what you suggest could be possible.

Maybe it isn't as common as in the US, but I know the concept of "oral surgery" exists in Canada and I know wisdom teeth are sometimes extracted in oral surgeon's offices. You can find that much with a google: http://www.markhamoralsurgery.com/services.asp
How often I don't know, but then I don't know exactly for the US either. I only know from my own experience (and my friends) that these days it is very common for a wisdom tooth extraction to happen in an oral surgeon's office.

Last edited:
A dentist should be able to properly anesthetize someone locally for a tooth extraction, I don't see a problem there. The problem with complicated extractions is that the dentist might not have the right tools available or might not be able to react adequately to complications.

I had my wisdom teeth (all three at the same time) extracted by an oral surgeon under local anesthetics. My dentist would have loved to extract the teeth himself, he told me that was one of his favorite jobs, but he thought it was too risky due to the impaction of one of the teeth. I was glad I was at the hospital, there were 5 people busy with extracting the teeth and Russ's description of bone-breaking and teeth-breaking applied to me as well.

Although not pleasant, the procedure itself didn't bother me too much. I did have trouble eating for at least a week, because my jaw was very sore.

I also had my wisdom tooth extracted. That is done routinely here, even if they are not causing problems. It is better to extract them when you are 20 than wait until they are causing problems when you are 30.

It is done under local anesthetics as Monique wrote. But in my case there was only one doctor and one assistent. When the doctor was starting to pull with force, my head moved, so that didn't work. The doctor asked me to pull in the opposite direction. So, I was puling with my neck muscles as hard as he was pulling. :biggrin:

The problems really come after the teeth are pulled. As Monique wrote, you have problems eating for a week and that's very difficult to deal with if you need to eat a lot. Also, I had a big bleeding a few days after the teeth were pulled.

They remove the wisdom teeth only on one side. A few weeks later they will remove the teeth on the other side. This makes it possible for you to eat, albeit with great difficulties.

I'm glad that I did this a long time ago when my parents could still take care of me. :biggrin:

A little bit of mild pain and some swelling and my wisdom teeth all grew without problems. They didn't start to hurt at 30, they didn't start to hurt at 40, next report in 2002.

Flu: remember you can make an ice compress and put it on your face close to the tooth, in plastic bag and piece of dry tissue. It doesn't stop the pain, but it usually makes it bearable.

Last edited:
Count Iblis said:
They remove the wisdom teeth only on one side. A few weeks later they will remove the teeth on the other side. This makes it possible for you to eat, albeit with great difficulties.

I'm glad that I did this a long time ago when my parents could still take care of me. :biggrin:
Not always, they can also pull out both the upper ones and one of the lower ones in one go.

Monique said:
Not always, they can also pull out both the upper ones and one of the lower ones in one go.

I had a quadruple extraction. Full anaesthesia.

My cheeks swelled up and I talked like Don Corleone for a while.

I was told by the dentist that they generally don't anesthetize both sides of the lower jaw, because it can lead to total numbness of the tongue with associated risks of complications. Did that affect you, or had the anesthesia already worn off when you woke up?

I hope I'll never have to get the rest of my teeth removed. If I have a nightmare at night, it's about teeth falling out :smile:

Monique said:
I was told by the dentist that they generally don't anesthetize both sides of the lower jaw, because it can lead to total numbness of the tongue with associated risks of complications. Did that affect you, or had the anesthesia already worn off when you woke up?
Do you mean total numbness of the tongue so long as the novocaine lasts, or permanent numbness of the tongue? My tongue is certainly not numb now.

I also don't recall, these 29 years later, if I still felt any novocaine numbness after I woke up. I was very spaced out. But I did not accidentally bite my tongue or anything.

<h2>1. What are wisdom teeth and why do they cause pain?</h2><p>Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, are the last set of teeth to emerge in the back of the mouth. They usually appear between the ages of 17 and 25. Wisdom teeth can cause pain because they often do not have enough room to fully emerge, leading to impaction or partial eruption. This can cause discomfort, swelling, and infection.</p><h2>2. How can I manage wisdom tooth pain?</h2><p>There are several ways to manage wisdom tooth pain. Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, can help to alleviate discomfort. Applying a cold compress to the affected area can also help to reduce swelling and pain. It is important to maintain good oral hygiene and avoid foods that may irritate the area.</p><h2>3. What are the potential complications of wisdom teeth?</h2><p>Wisdom teeth can lead to various complications, including infection, damage to neighboring teeth, and cysts or tumors. In some cases, impacted wisdom teeth may need to be removed to prevent these complications from occurring.</p><h2>4. When should I see a dentist for wisdom tooth pain?</h2><p>If you are experiencing severe or persistent pain, swelling, or difficulty opening your mouth, it is important to see a dentist as soon as possible. These may be signs of infection or other complications that require immediate treatment.</p><h2>5. Is it necessary to have my wisdom teeth removed?</h2><p>Not everyone needs to have their wisdom teeth removed. If the teeth are healthy, fully erupted, and not causing any problems, they may not need to be removed. However, if there is not enough room for them to emerge properly, or if they are causing pain or other complications, your dentist may recommend extraction to prevent future issues.</p>

1. What are wisdom teeth and why do they cause pain?

Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, are the last set of teeth to emerge in the back of the mouth. They usually appear between the ages of 17 and 25. Wisdom teeth can cause pain because they often do not have enough room to fully emerge, leading to impaction or partial eruption. This can cause discomfort, swelling, and infection.

2. How can I manage wisdom tooth pain?

There are several ways to manage wisdom tooth pain. Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, can help to alleviate discomfort. Applying a cold compress to the affected area can also help to reduce swelling and pain. It is important to maintain good oral hygiene and avoid foods that may irritate the area.

3. What are the potential complications of wisdom teeth?

Wisdom teeth can lead to various complications, including infection, damage to neighboring teeth, and cysts or tumors. In some cases, impacted wisdom teeth may need to be removed to prevent these complications from occurring.

4. When should I see a dentist for wisdom tooth pain?

If you are experiencing severe or persistent pain, swelling, or difficulty opening your mouth, it is important to see a dentist as soon as possible. These may be signs of infection or other complications that require immediate treatment.

5. Is it necessary to have my wisdom teeth removed?

Not everyone needs to have their wisdom teeth removed. If the teeth are healthy, fully erupted, and not causing any problems, they may not need to be removed. However, if there is not enough room for them to emerge properly, or if they are causing pain or other complications, your dentist may recommend extraction to prevent future issues.