Any way to rip DVD movies into my hard drive?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of ripping DVD's to a computer for the purpose of transferring them to an iPod. It mentions the legality of this action and the availability of software that can do it. However, it also brings up the issue of copyright protection and the possible consequences of violating it. The conversation ends with a mention of the ambiguous concept of "fair use" in the US and a decision to lock the thread.
AlawnAaron
I don't want to "pirate" any movies, but would like to rip DVD's that I bought into my computer so I can put them on my iPod.

Are there ways to rip copy protected DVD's with many chapters/episodes etc?

Which software allows me to do it? Is it legal?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes there are ways
Depending on the head on your coins it may or may not be legal
It isn't legal in the country hosting PF

so we can't tell you about it.

(hint - it may be 'FairUse' in your country)

I thought i-tunes came with software that did this? I know the software that came with my PMP does.

mgb_phys said:
Yes there are ways
Depending on the head on your coins it may or may not be legal
It isn't legal in the country hosting PF

so we can't tell you about it.

(hint - it may be 'FairUse' in your country)
There is too fine of a line in the US concerning "fair use". Thread locked.

I cannot provide specific recommendations for software as it is beyond my expertise. However, I can provide some general information regarding the process of ripping DVD movies and the legality of doing so.

Ripping DVD movies involves using software to extract the video and audio files from the DVD and store them on your computer's hard drive. This can be done for personal use, such as transferring the files to a portable device like an iPod, but it is important to note that this process may be illegal if done without the permission of the copyright holder.

In many countries, it is legal to make copies of media for personal use, as long as it is not distributed or shared with others. However, there are also laws in place to protect the rights of copyright holders, which means that ripping copy-protected DVDs may be considered a violation of these laws.

It is important to do thorough research and make sure you are following the laws and regulations in your country before attempting to rip DVD movies. Additionally, be sure to purchase and use software that is reputable and does not violate any copyright laws.

In summary, while there may be ways to rip DVD movies onto your hard drive, it is important to ensure that you are not violating any copyright laws in doing so. It is always best to obtain permission from the copyright holder before making any copies of media.

1. Can I rip DVD movies into my hard drive using my computer?

Yes, you can use a DVD ripping software on your computer to transfer the contents of a DVD movie into your hard drive. There are many free and paid options available for different operating systems.

2. Is it legal to rip DVD movies into my hard drive?

The legality of ripping DVD movies into your hard drive depends on your country's copyright laws. In some countries, it is considered fair use for personal use, while in others it may be illegal. Make sure to research and comply with your local laws before ripping DVDs.

3. Can I rip any DVD movie into my hard drive?

Most DVD ripping software can handle a wide range of DVD formats, but there may be some copy-protected DVDs that cannot be ripped. Additionally, some software may have limitations on the types of video and audio files it can output.

4. What format should I choose when ripping DVD movies into my hard drive?

The format you choose will depend on your intended use for the ripped movie. If you want to watch it on your computer, a common format like MP4 or AVI would be suitable. If you plan to watch it on a specific device, make sure to check its compatibility before choosing a format.

5. Will ripping DVDs into my hard drive affect the quality of the movie?

In most cases, ripping DVDs into your hard drive will not affect the quality of the movie. However, if you choose to compress the file to save space, there may be a slight decrease in quality. It is best to choose a high-quality output format to minimize any loss of quality.