Finding REUs for Summer 2012? [Undergraduate Research Help]

In summary, it sounds like you might have a better chance if you have a strong GPA and research experience.
nickadams
I am a sophomore petroleum engineering major, and I plan to pursue a PhD. I have been trying to participate in undergraduate research for a while by talking to professors, but I have not been able to secure a position. :(

So I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on getting into undergraduate research either as an assistant during the regular term, or through an Research Experience for Undergrad? How can I find good programs to apply to for PGE/Geoscience research over summer 2012?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a tidbit of information: applications and deadlines usually start to come around during the very end of December at the earliest, and typically the beginning of Spring semester. So don't feel too stressed about hurrying to apply or gain knowledge for now.

MissSilvy said:
Did you try the NSF REU directory?

http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm

Yes, I looked there. But hardly any of the programs seemed to have applications up for Summer 2012.

How good of a GPA and extracurriculars does one need in order to land a position in one of those NSF REUs? Since they are big national programs, it seems like competition would be very fierce.

I desperately want to get involved in research but nobody seems to need any undergraduate help at my school. So as of now I have zero extracurriculars in college. :(

Anonymous217 said:
Just a tidbit of information: applications and deadlines usually start to come around during the very end of December at the earliest, and typically the beginning of Spring semester. So don't feel too stressed about hurrying to apply or gain knowledge for now.

that's good to know. Do you guys have any tips on getting involved in research as an undergrad?

Look at Columbia's LDEO program... i just finished it. It was a lot of fun. I didn't have a great GPA but I had a lot of research experience.

NeoZeon said:
Look at Columbia's LDEO program... i just finished it. It was a lot of fun. I didn't have a great GPA but I had a lot of research experience.

how did you get research experience if you don't mind me asking? I have talked to tons of professors about it but I can't seem to get my foot in the door!

Try talking to the DUS (Director of Undergraduate Studies) or the Department Chair, they might know more about which professors want/need undergraduates.

REUs in all fields are generally very competitive. I've heard many people apply to 10+ and get into maybe 2-3 if they do well.

Well... I go to a small liberal arts school with active professors ( they are propionate in their fields) so while the choice of research isn't extensive (planetary science, atmospheric physics, lases are about it) pretty much everyone at my school starts from freshman year if they want to. Thats how I got research. I just got lucky that I am interested in Geosciences so the research is prefect for me.

Honestly, there are few ways to control the outcome of your application when applying to REU's. Your statement better be sexy, your letters better be even sexier and you need a good GPA. In my experience, a 3.5 isn't necessarily at a disadvantage to the 4.0 student as long as everything else is very strong. I got into the columbia gig by calling (not email) my potential advisor and showing enthusiasm. Thats the most important thing: initiative. Thats your only chance, keep pushing and eventually u'll get something.

Last summer I applied to 12 REU's and got into 6, and of those 6 4 were canceled if u want some statistic. I have less than a 3.5 GPA. I am also a rising senior, which I think helps.

1. What is an REU and why should I participate in one?

An REU, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that provides undergraduate students with opportunities to participate in hands-on research projects in various fields of science and engineering. Participating in an REU can allow students to gain valuable research experience, work closely with faculty mentors, and potentially contribute to published research.

2. How can I find REUs for Summer 2012?

There are several ways to find REUs for Summer 2012. One option is to search the National Science Foundation's website for a list of current programs. Another option is to reach out to faculty members at your university or colleges in your area to inquire about any REUs they may be involved in. You can also search for REUs through online databases and scholarship search engines.

3. What are the eligibility requirements for participating in an REU?

The eligibility requirements for REUs vary depending on the specific program. However, most programs require that applicants be current undergraduate students, have a strong academic record, and have a specific interest in the field of the REU. Some programs may also have additional requirements, such as a minimum GPA or specific coursework completed.

4. How do I apply for an REU?

The application process for REUs also varies depending on the program. Generally, you will need to submit an application, which may include a personal statement, letters of recommendation, transcripts, and a resume or CV. Some programs may also require a research proposal or project proposal. It is important to carefully review the application requirements for each program you are interested in and submit all materials before the deadline.

5. Are REUs paid opportunities?

Yes, most REUs are paid opportunities. The National Science Foundation requires that all REU programs provide students with a stipend to cover living expenses during the program. In addition, some programs may also cover the cost of travel and housing. However, the amount and type of compensation may vary depending on the program and funding available.