Having trouble working with modules

• Thread starter wizard147
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary: Yes, you almost had it!What you are trying to do is find a module V that is isomorphic to the direct product of the left action of the group G on V and the identity on V, i.e. V=\mathbf{G}\oplus\mathbf{I}But this is not possible, as G and I are not isomorphic.In summary, the conversation is discussing how the F-module for a field, F, can not have the group of integers as an F-module. The group of integers is not an isomorphism from the field F to the F-module.
wizard147
Hi guys,

Basically I'm playing around with modules at the moment, and I can't work out why we can't have the group of integers as an F-module (F a field), where the left action is the identity.

i.e F x Z ----> Z

where we have f.z = z

f in F, z in Z

If this were possible, then Z would be a vector space wouldn't it, this is probably a stupid question but would be grateful if somebody could point out where I'm going wrong, I've been trying to work it out for hours.

Thanks!

C

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the axiom

[tex](f+f^\prime)z=fz+f^\prime z[/tex]

Still hold??

What about 0z=0 ??

Ahhh, so simple!

Thank you so much, I think i'll noodle around with them a bit more so I can understand them better.

Really appreciate it.

C

micromass said:
Does the axiom

[tex](f+f^\prime)z=fz+f^\prime z[/tex]

Still hold??

What about 0z=0 ??
Another question for you :),

I've been playing around with these and had a look at a bit of representation theory.

I was looking at group algebra's, where G is a finite group, and \mathbb{C} is our field. I was trying to find a C[G] module, V, that has a left action is the basis of C[G] (i.e. group elements of G) on V as the identity map,

i.e. g.v=v where g \in{G}I wasn't sure if the axiom (g+h).v = g.v + h.v held, but I think its to do with the fact that g+h isn't a basis element and thus

(g+h).v \neq v

and that the axiom holds trivially as our left action is a group homomorphism

i.e. (g+h).v = g.v + h.v by definition

am I right in saying this, otherwise I can't work out how we get the identity rep for group algebra's under the correspondence theorem in representation theory.

Thanks in advance

Sorry if this is unclear, just say if you can't work out what I'm trying to say

C

Yes, that seems right indeed!

Awesome, cheers Micromass!

C

micromass said:
Yes, that seems right indeed!
Ah wait no,

What I said that (g+h) isn't a basis element is wrong. It is an element of G and thus a basis element. Therefore we have

(g+h).v = g.v +h.v

implies v=v+v

So I'm still stuck as to how we can get left action to be the identity.

thought we almost had it!

C

Last edited:

1. Why am I having trouble importing a module?

There could be several reasons for this. Make sure you are using the correct syntax for importing the module. Also, check if the module is installed in the correct location and if it is accessible to your current working directory.

2. How do I troubleshoot errors when working with modules?

First, carefully read the error message to identify the specific issue. Then, check your code for any typos or incorrect syntax. You can also try searching for solutions online or consulting the documentation for the module.

3. Can I use multiple modules in my code?

Yes, you can import as many modules as you need in your code. Just make sure to use the correct syntax for each module and to avoid any naming conflicts between modules.

4. Is it necessary to import a module every time I use it in my code?

No, once a module is imported, it remains accessible in your code until the program ends. However, if you need to use a specific function from the module multiple times, you can import just that function instead of the entire module.

5. How do I know which functions are available in a module?

The best way to find out is to read the documentation for the module. Alternatively, you can use the dir() function to list all the available functions in a module.