How to Calculate Magnetic Flux with a Long Wire and Rotated Plane

In summary, the problem is to find the magnetic flux crossing a portion of a plane at an angle of theta = x/4, defined by 0.01 m < r < 0.05 m and 0 m < z < 2 m. A current of 2.50 A is flowing along the z-axis on a long wire. The magnetic flux through the surface is given by the integral \int_S \vec B \cdot \hat n dA, where \hat n is a unit vector normal to the element of area dA. The geometry of the problem is not clear, but it seems to involve cylindrical coordinates and a rectangle perpendicular to the OXY plane. The angle between the magnetic field and the rectangle
hd28cw
Find the magnetic flux crossing the portion of the plane
theta = x/4 defined by 0.01 m < r <0.05 m and 0 m < z < 2 m. A current of 2.50 A is flowing along z-axis along a very long wire.

in drawing the picture i know that there is a long thin wire with a current of 2.5 amps flowing positively on the z-axis and the plane is lying rotated at an angle of pi/4 with the magnetic field flowing in a counter clockwise direction.

How do I go about finding the magnetic flux.
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic flux through the surface is the integral

[tex]\int_S \vec B \cdot \hat n dA[/tex]

where [itex]\hat n[/itex] is a unit vector normal to the element of area dA.

From your description I don't have a clear picture of the geometry.

Tide said:
The magnetic flux through the surface is the integral

[tex]\int_S \vec B \cdot \hat n dA[/tex]

where [itex]\hat n[/itex] is a unit vector normal to the element of area dA.

From your description I don't have a clear picture of the geometry.
Me neither.I saw this problem 2 hours ago,but i couldnt' figure out the geometry and how would flux definiton and Ampère's law fit in.Let's hope (for his sake) he comes up with a drawing or with the original text.

EDIT:Maybe i got it.He's obviously using cylindrical coordinates and that domain should be a rectangle perpendicular to the OXY plane with one of the sides lying in the OXY plane.So i guess,be should find that,since magnetic field lines are perpendicular to the rectangle,the angle between the magnetic field and \vec<n should be zero.At constant z,the field is varying inversly proportional with "r" as stated by Ampèere's law.So the surface integral would splin in 2,the integral along the "z" gives the magnitude of "z" and along "r" smth about natural logarithm.
I guess that does it.Yet where does the XY angle "theta" come in...??Or am i missing something??Like a different from pi over 2 angle between teh field and the rectangle??Anyway...Tide,i let u give your opinion.

Last edited:
Dexter,

That makes sense. I think I'll wait for hd28cw to offer clarification!

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How do you calculate magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux can be calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field (B) by the area of the surface (A) that the field passes through, and by the cosine of the angle between the magnetic field and the surface: Φ = B x A x cosθ.

3. What is the difference between magnetic flux and magnetic flux density?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area, while magnetic flux density (B) is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a particular point in space.

4. What are some real-life applications of magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is used in a variety of applications, including electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic levitation systems, magnetic recording devices, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

5. How is magnetic flux related to Faraday's law of induction?

Magnetic flux is an important concept in Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. The amount of induced current is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the conductor.