Plotting potential of 2 bodies.

In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to plot the pseudo potential of two bodies in maple, but encountering difficulty due to the inclusion of r in the function. They are seeking help from others who may have experience with plotting potential fields and are given a hint to think of a famous Greek when looking at the right triangle formed by the variables x, y and r. They later express gratitude for the help and mention that the graph now looks perfect.
kagestodder
Hi everyone,

Im currently following an example of this paper: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronautics-and-astronautics/16-07-dynamics-fall-2009/lecture-notes/MIT16_07F09_Lec18.pdf

And have reached a standstill on page 5. I am trying to plot the pseudo potential of the two bodies. I have succeded in plotting the gravitational potential in maple. But when i want to plot the pseudo potential i have to use the function (14). But on the added centrifugal force there's r, which i pressume is the position vector.

Im not really sure how to plot this since i now have 3 (x,y,r) variables instead of 2(x,y). r must be some sort of function of x and y, i think? If anyone has ever plottet the potential field i would love to know what to do now.

Regards
and thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: r is the "diagonal" distance running directly from the origin to the point (x,y). x is the "horizontal" distance from the origin. y is the "vertical" distance from the origin. x, y and r form the three sides of a right triangle. What famous Greek do you think of when you look at a right triangle? :wink:

Doh!

1. What is plotting potential?

Plotting potential is a method used to visualize the gravitational interaction between two bodies. It involves creating a graph that shows the potential energy of the two bodies at different distances from each other.

2. How is plotting potential calculated?

The plotting potential is calculated using the equation V = -GmM/r, where V is the potential energy, G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the two bodies, and r is the distance between them.

3. Why is plotting potential important in scientific research?

Plotting potential is important because it allows scientists to understand the gravitational forces between two bodies and how they affect each other. This information is crucial in fields such as astrophysics, where the interactions between celestial bodies are studied.

4. Can plotting potential be used for more than two bodies?

Yes, plotting potential can be extended to include more than two bodies. However, the calculations become more complex and it may not be feasible to graphically represent the interactions between multiple bodies on a single graph.

5. What are some limitations of using plotting potential?

One limitation of plotting potential is that it assumes the bodies are point masses, which may not always be the case in reality. It also does not take into account other factors such as atmospheric drag or the rotation of the bodies, which can affect their gravitational interaction.