Degree - Career relationship

In summary, the conversation is about a CS graduate who is more interested in physics and wants to pursue a career in that field. They are unsure about the job prospects and how to transition from CS to physics. The other person suggests getting a degree in physics and mentions the growing field of computational physics as a potential job opportunity. They also mention the possibility of selling oneself in a CS or engineering field. They conclude by discussing the importance of having a degree in a specific field and the challenges of finding a career related to that degree.
mrxyz
Hi,

I'm an about to be CS graduate but my interest in physics greatly outweighs that of programming or developing software. Especially theoretical physics or anything related to physics for that matter so what I'd like to do is to go into a physics job however not having a physics degree I don't know how I'll go about doing it or which job I can even go into.

I think a wise choice would be to go into a career which is a mix of the computing/physics related work but then I'd like to work my way up to get into physics completely.

What kind of career would be good for me in this case? And how can I go about doing the above?

Also, does having a degree in one subject mean you're limited to careers only in that field in life or is it possible to switch to something else as you find your true interest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats a physics job? Do you mean research? Not many such jobs exist and you can't really get promoted into one. Check out the "so you want to be a physicist" thread for insight into getting a job in physics. Otherwise the opposite transition usually happens, physics degree holders attempt to sell themselves in a CS (or engineering) field since there isn't really any such thing as a physics job.

Most people don't get a career related to their degree and in physics this is particularly true. To me CS seems more likely to get you into a career that is related to your degree.

By job I mean something which yields money. I'm absolutely fine with research, in fact I find it quite interesting an enjoyable. How can someone get into one of these research-jobs.

Computational physics, from alloy development to multi-scale, multi-physics (CFD, fluid-structure interaction, heat transport, etc) simulations of complex systems, is a growing area. Large simulations of high fidelity require computations on clusters or supercomputers.

mrxyz said:
By job I mean something which yields money. I'm absolutely fine with research, in fact I find it quite interesting an enjoyable. How can someone get into one of these research-jobs.
Go back to school and get a degree in physics, (at the minimum), you need the knowledge that you don't have.

1. How important is a degree in relation to career success?

The importance of a degree in relation to career success can vary depending on the industry and specific job. In some fields, a degree is a necessary requirement for even entry-level positions. In others, experience and skills may be valued more highly. However, in general, having a degree can significantly increase your job prospects and potential salary.

2. Does the type of degree matter for my career?

Yes, the type of degree you have can play a role in your career path. Some careers may require a specific type of degree, such as a medical or law degree, while others may be more flexible. Additionally, the skills and knowledge gained from different degrees can be more relevant and beneficial for certain careers.

3. Can I change careers with a degree in a different field?

Yes, having a degree can provide you with transferable skills and knowledge that can be applied to different industries and careers. It may require additional education or training, but having a degree can make it easier to switch careers and adapt to new roles.

4. How can my degree help me in my current job?

Your degree can help you in your current job by providing you with a strong foundation of knowledge and skills. It can also demonstrate your dedication and commitment to your field, which can lead to opportunities for advancement or increased responsibilities. Additionally, certain degrees may be directly relevant to your job and allow you to excel in your role.

5. Is it worth getting a degree for a career that may not have a high salary?

The worth of a degree for a career with a lower salary can depend on your personal goals and priorities. While a higher salary may be a main motivator for pursuing a degree, it can also provide you with valuable skills, knowledge, and personal growth. Additionally, some careers may have non-monetary benefits, such as job satisfaction or making a positive impact, that can make a lower salary worth it for you.