Calculate electromagnetic force on iron object

In summary, the formula for calculating the force between a solenoid electromagnet and a piece of iron assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account the size or mass of the iron object. It is likely only accurate for cases where the iron object is much larger than the solenoid. To calculate the force for a smaller iron object, additional factors would need to be considered.
Heissenberg
Hello,

I need to calculate/estimate the force between a solenoid electromagnet and a piece of iron on a certain distance from the magnets airgap, preferable in a simple way under ideal conditions rather than a very exact calculation.

I have found the following formula at a couple of places (for example at: http://www.ehow.com/how_5969962_calculate-force-electromagnet.html):

Force = ((N x I)^2 x k x A) / (2 x g^2)

N = the number of turns in the solenoid
I = the current, in amperes (A), running through the solenoid
A = the cross-sectional area, in meters-squared, of the solenoidal magnet
g = the distance, in meters, between the magnet and the piece of metal
k = 4 x pi x 10^-7 (a constant)

However I am a bit confused, as the formula do not contain any variable defining the metal object size or mass, surely the mass of the metal object as well as the material must have an impact on the force between the object and the magnet? Or what "force" is actually calculated in this formula?

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with that formula, but I suspect it assumes that the metal object is much larger than the solenoid. If you bring one end of a solenoid with a diameter of 1 cm close to an iron cube, would you expect the force to be significantly different for a 1-m cube versus a 10-m cube?

Ah ok, that could make sense I guess. So any tips on how I could calculate the force between a solenoid electromagnet and a iron object that is smaller than the magnet? I don't mind asuming ideal conditions of the iron object and magnet itself it this would simplify things!

1. How do you calculate the electromagnetic force on an iron object?

To calculate the electromagnetic force on an iron object, you need to use the formula F = BIL, where F is the force in Newtons, B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla, I is the current in Amperes, and L is the length of the object in meters.

2. What is the unit of measurement for electromagnetic force?

The unit of measurement for electromagnetic force is Newtons (N).

3. Can you calculate the electromagnetic force on any type of object?

Yes, the formula for calculating electromagnetic force can be used for any object that is influenced by a magnetic field, not just iron objects. However, the material properties of the object may affect the strength of the force.

4. How does the distance between the object and the magnetic field affect the electromagnetic force?

The electromagnetic force is directly proportional to the distance between the object and the magnetic field. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases.

5. What other factors can affect the electromagnetic force on an iron object?

Aside from the magnetic field strength and current, other factors that can affect the electromagnetic force on an iron object include the shape and orientation of the object, as well as any other nearby objects that may also have a magnetic field. Additionally, the material properties of the object, such as its permeability, can also impact the force.