Study Abroad or in States: Which Option is Better for Higher Education?

In summary: The "Classes Preparatoires aux Grandes Ecoles" are two years long (three, if you want to repeat the first year to try get a better "ecole"; not that you can't repeat the first year), and your studies would last another 3-4 years at the "ecole." There are various tracks you could go into, but if you go to an engineering (you can also go into math/physics/cs as well, depending on the track you pick) prepa, you can also apply for a "double-diplome" with your engineering school and a "diplome d'etudes approfondies" (roughly a masters degree) in a related field
coolname
Hello,
I would like to inquire the minds of this forum about a situation. Given that you have access to free education in one of the EU countries and also could study in the US, where would you study? If I finish higher education in the states I wold get out of college with a student loan. I don't see myself getting into a great college (UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford) as I always hoped to. In Europe I can get into a good college and have a nice living. I wondering what other members might think. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you like to live in Europe? Depending on where you go, your living expenses and tuition (i.e, total cost of attendance) could end up being significantly cheaper than what you'd pay if you had stayed in the US. You probably won't be able to work your way through college, but you could contribute a lot towards to cost if you get a part-time job.

European degrees are also very specialized. If you're not sure what you want to major in, attending one might not be such a good idea. Some universities in Germany allow you to minor. Math and physics degrees almost exclusively require one to minor in something. But often, one could just take more courses from their own department instead.

You could also consider the University Colleges in the Netherlands. They are similar to American colleges, and the tuition fee for non-EU residents is around 7k euros, last I checked.

The other day, I heard about this MIT physics grad who went for a M.Sc at Konstanz in Germany, and is now doing a PhD in Zurich. (ETH, I think)

Mépris said:
Would you like to live in Europe? Depending on where you go, your living expenses and tuition (i.e, total cost of attendance) could end up being significantly cheaper than what you'd pay if you had stayed in the US. You probably won't be able to work your way through college, but you could contribute a lot towards to cost if you get a part-time job.

European degrees are also very specialized. If you're not sure what you want to major in, attending one might not be such a good idea. Some universities in Germany allow you to minor. Math and physics degrees almost exclusively require one to minor in something. But often, one could just take more courses from their own department instead.

You could also consider the University Colleges in the Netherlands. They are similar to American colleges, and the tuition fee for non-EU residents is around 7k euros, last I checked.

The other day, I heard about this MIT physics grad who went for a M.Sc at Konstanz in Germany, and is now doing a PhD in Zurich. (ETH, I think)
Thank you for your detailed response. I have lived in Europe. I would first be going to Poland. I know the expenses there are really low and cost of attendance is in Polish złoty. I would live very comfertably there and my savings would cover my whole education there. In the states I would only be able to pay for 1 year of college on my savings.
Engineering programs in Poland as I've heard are good. I'm still considering Economics as an option. I would have higher chances of getting into a good school as an Economist in the states. What do you think? I always have the option to travel to France or other EU country's in Europe, which is very appealing. Though, the possibility getting into a prestigious college is very alluring to me. Am I shooting too high here? Over-complicating things needlessly?

Consider the possibilities that a "prestigious college" could give you, and whether these possibilities are worth the debt you'd take. If you qualify for financial aid, then the debt shouldn't be a concern. Are you a US citizen or permanent resident? Apply to the schools that can "meet your full demonstrated need." There's a list on Wikipedia.

If you're an international student, then most of the schools become "need aware", meaning that they can, and perhaps will, consider your ability to pay in the admissions decision. That's why the acceptance rate of a college such as Whitman, whose overall acceptance rate is between 30% and 40%, drops to 10% for international students seeking aid.

If you know French, you should definitely consider France. The "Classes Preparatoires aux Grandes Ecoles" are two years long (three, if you want to repeat the first year to try get a better "ecole"; not that you can't repeat the first year), and your studies would last another 3-4 years at the "ecole." There are various tracks you could go into, but if you go to an engineering (you can also go into math/physics/cs as well, depending on the track you pick) prepa, you can also apply for a "double-diplome" with your ecole, and get a "diplome" from an "ecole de commerce", like the HEC or EDHEC.

Of course, that would depend on which school you go to.

It is interesting to note that admissions at the French "grandes ecoles" are based exclusively (as far as I'm aware) on performance on the entrance exams. There is a written portion, and if one passes, there is an oral exam.

Further, I would urge you to look into whether the degrees from Polish universities would be recognized in the countries you intend to work in. Don't be so quick to dismiss the German, French, Belgian, and Dutch options. For instance, TU-Delft has an Aerospace Engineering bachelor's degree in English. France also has the INSA Lyon, and the "SCAN" track (sciences et Anglais), and that is a "grande ecole" with "prepa integree", meaning that you can enter right after high school.

Note that at most of these universities, you will probably have to take a few APs. (assuming you're in the US right now) For Germany, you should use something like uni-assist to check if your high school diploma is equivalent to the Abitur.

I cannot provide a definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on individual preferences and priorities. However, I can offer some factors to consider when making this decision.

Firstly, both the US and Europe have excellent higher education systems with prestigious universities. It is important to research and compare the specific universities and programs that you are interested in to determine which one aligns better with your academic and career goals.

Secondly, studying abroad can offer a unique cultural and educational experience. It allows you to immerse yourself in a different culture, language, and academic environment, which can broaden your perspective and personal growth. On the other hand, studying in the US may provide more opportunities for networking and connections within the country, which can be valuable for future career prospects.

Additionally, it is important to consider the financial aspect. As you mentioned, studying in Europe may offer a more affordable option with free education and a lower cost of living. However, it is important to also consider the potential career opportunities and earning potential in each location, as this could impact your ability to repay any student loans acquired in the US.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on what is best for your personal and academic goals. I would recommend thoroughly researching and considering all factors before making a decision. It may also be helpful to speak with current or former students who have experienced studying in both the US and Europe to gain their insights and perspectives.

1. What are the benefits of studying abroad?

Studying abroad offers numerous benefits including gaining a global perspective, improving language skills, experiencing a new culture, and building independence and self-confidence. Additionally, it can enhance job prospects and provide opportunities for personal and academic growth.

2. How does the cost of studying abroad compare to studying in the states?

The cost of studying abroad can vary greatly depending on the country and program chosen. In some cases, it may be more affordable than studying in the states, especially if the program includes scholarships or financial aid. However, it is important to carefully consider all expenses, such as travel and living costs, before making a decision.

3. What is the application process for studying abroad?

The application process for studying abroad typically involves submitting an application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a language proficiency test and/or an interview. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program and plan ahead as the process may take several months.

4. Can I receive credit for courses taken abroad?

Yes, many study abroad programs offer credit for courses taken. It is important to work closely with your home institution and the study abroad program to ensure that the credits will transfer and count towards your degree. It is also recommended to have the courses pre-approved by your academic advisor before leaving.

5. How will studying abroad impact my future career?

Studying abroad can have a positive impact on your future career by demonstrating to employers your adaptability, global awareness, and cross-cultural communication skills. It can also provide opportunities for networking and making connections in your field of interest. However, it is important to also consider the potential challenges and how you can address them in job interviews and on your resume.