Could the universe be a giant spinning teacups ride?

In summary, we know that galaxies are not orbiting super super super massive black holes or other objects because it would imply a central point of rotation, which is not observed. Additionally, galaxies rotate in various orientations, which would not be possible if they were all orbiting a single object. This idea has been brought up before and has been refuted.
tinypositrons
Moons orbit planets. Planets orbit stars. Stars sometimes orbit other stars. Stars orbit galactic centres. How to we know galaxies aren't orbiting super super super massive black holes or something along those lines. And it continues. How do we know this chain is not infinite?

Thanks bros
Fin

Astronomy news on Phys.org
tinypositrons said:
Moons orbit planets. Planets orbit stars. Stars sometimes orbit other stars. Stars orbit galactic centres. How to we know galaxies aren't orbiting super super super massive black holes or something along those lines. And it continues. How do we know this chain is not infinite?

Thanks bros
Fin

Because it would imply a center around which everything rotates and there is no such center.

Also, are you aware that galaxies rotate in all different orientations relative to the disk of the Milky Way?

I vaguely understand what you mean, and need to say I don't nessercarily agree with what I have said, I am simply putting it forward to be criticised.

tinypositrons said:
I vaguely understand what you mean, and need to say I don't nessercarily agree with what I have said, I am simply putting it forward to be criticised.

The question of a rotating universe has been addressed here several times, always shot down quickly.

What do you not understand about my post?

ley, thank you for your question. I can assure you that the universe is not a giant spinning teacups ride. While it may seem like a fun and whimsical idea, there is no evidence to support this concept.

Instead, we have observed and studied the movements and interactions of celestial bodies such as moons, planets, stars, and galaxies. Through these observations, we have been able to understand the laws and principles that govern their motions.

We know that moons orbit planets because we can see them moving around their respective planets in a predictable pattern. Similarly, we can observe planets orbiting stars and stars orbiting other stars. This is all possible because of the force of gravity, which pulls objects towards each other.

As for galaxies, we have observed that they are not orbiting supermassive black holes. While some galaxies do have supermassive black holes at their centers, they are not the main source of gravity that keeps the galaxies together. Instead, it is the combined mass of all the stars and other matter in the galaxy that holds it together.

As for the possibility of an infinite chain of orbiting bodies, it is highly unlikely. We know that the universe has a finite amount of matter and energy, and there is a limit to how many objects can orbit each other before they collapse into a single mass. Additionally, the expansion of the universe suggests that galaxies are moving away from each other rather than orbiting each other in an infinite chain.

In conclusion, while the idea of a giant teacups ride in the universe may be entertaining, it is not supported by scientific evidence. Instead, we have a wealth of knowledge and observations that explain the complex movements and interactions of celestial bodies in our universe.

1. Could the universe actually be a giant spinning teacups ride?

While this may seem like a fun and whimsical idea, it is highly unlikely that the universe is actually a giant spinning teacups ride. The universe is a vast and complex system governed by physical laws and principles, not a carnival ride.

2. What evidence supports the idea of the universe being a giant spinning teacups ride?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea of the universe being a giant spinning teacups ride. This concept is purely speculative and not based on any observable data or scientific theories.

3. Could there be a parallel universe where the universe is a giant spinning teacups ride?

While there are theories about parallel universes, there is no evidence to suggest that any of these universes would be a giant spinning teacups ride. These theories are based on scientific principles and not on fanciful notions.

4. How would the laws of physics work on a giant spinning teacups universe?

The laws of physics are universal and apply to all systems, including the universe. If the universe were a giant spinning teacups ride, the laws of physics would still function in the same way as they do in our current understanding of the universe.

5. Is there a deeper meaning or significance behind the idea of the universe being a giant spinning teacups ride?

No, the concept of the universe being a giant spinning teacups ride is not meant to have any deeper meaning or significance. It is simply a playful idea and not based on any scientific or philosophical theories.