How can I differentiate between alpha particles and helium in an enclosed space?

In summary, the best way to detect the amount of helium in a given enclosed space is by using a Gas Chromatograph or Mass Spectrometer (RGA). This method can be fairly accurate if a calibrated measurement device or leak is used as a standard. If the experiment involves alpha decay, a silicon detector can be used to differentiate between alpha particles and helium. For more information on measurement details, 'A User's Guide to Vacuum Technology by John F. O'Hanlon' is a recommended resource.
connorp
Can someone recommend (if possible) a way to detect the amount of helium in a given enclosed space? I'm designing an experiment in which I will need to measure the amount in an otherwise vacuum.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If helium is the only thing in the container, why not just measure the pressure?

How to detect the amount depends on the quality of the vacuum and the level of helium in that volume.

Normal Helium mass spectrometer/RGA leak detection methods will work and can be fairly accurate if you have a calibrated measurement device or a calibrated leak to use as a standard.

Find a copy of 'A User's Guide to Vacuum Technology by John F. O'Hanlon" for measurement details.

http://www.lesker.com/newweb/Techni...etect_01_Overview.cfm?section=leaks&init=skip

connorp said:
Can someone recommend (if possible) a way to detect the amount of helium in a given enclosed space? I'm designing an experiment in which I will need to measure the amount in an otherwise vacuum.

Gas Chromatograph or Mass Spectrometer (RGA)

russ_watters said:
If helium is the only thing in the container, why not just measure the pressure?

Oops. Forgot to mention that the experiment would involve the alpha decay of a radioactive source, hence, I need a way to differentiate between alpha particles and helium.

connorp said:
Oops. Forgot to mention that the experiment would involve the alpha decay of a radioactive source, hence, I need a way to differentiate between alpha particles and helium.

That's out of my level of expertise but to detect helium with a mass spectrometer/RGA you need to ionize it first so it can be accelerated into the mass detector. For charged particles like alphas a silicon detector could be used.

http://www.ortec-online.com/Solutions/RadiationDetectors/silicon-charged-particle-detectors.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is helium detection measurement?

Helium detection measurement is a scientific technique used to detect and measure the amount of helium gas in a specific environment. This can be done through various methods such as gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, and infrared spectroscopy.

2. Why is helium detection measurement important?

Helium is a valuable and limited resource, making it crucial to accurately measure its presence and concentration. Helium detection measurement is also important in industries such as healthcare, electronics, and aerospace, where helium is used for various applications.

3. How is helium detection measurement performed?

There are various methods for performing helium detection measurement, but the most common technique is gas chromatography. This involves separating the gas mixture into its individual components and then measuring the amount of helium present using a detector.

4. What are the benefits of helium detection measurement?

Helium detection measurement allows for accurate and precise measurement of helium gas, which can be used to monitor and control its usage. This can help conserve helium resources and ensure its availability for future generations. Additionally, helium detection measurement is important for safety purposes, as helium is an inert gas and can displace oxygen in confined spaces.

5. Are there any limitations to helium detection measurement?

While helium detection measurement is a valuable tool, it does have some limitations. For example, it can only detect and measure helium gas and not other forms of the element. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement can be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure, so proper calibration and control measures should be taken.