Battery acid counter balance for longevity

In summary, the battery had been left at a communal recycle collection point and the collector found it and peeled off the branding to discard the batter. They then test the battery to see if it is still usable and make a solution from lemon and dilute it as necessary to apply with a cotton bud to wash it with water. They are not sure what to do to stop the reaction of the broken battery and are looking for advice.
rovot
I collect branded goods and came across this old Energiser battery which had been left at one of those communal recycle collection points in our local supermarket, what a find, it's the old ones that I remember from my childhood and labelled as "Made in Britain" (my God, that must have been some time ago!).

Anyway, I managed to peel off the outer logo to discard the batter as it had been foaming and wanted to know how to treat it so that it wouldn't dissolve over time. I know to keep it in an air tight container and out of direct sunlight, but I'd like to counter the effect of the Alkaline from the broken battery.

I suppose the first step would be to test this, perhaps using this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-STRIPS-ALKALINE-pH-DUAL-TEST-STRIPS-KIT-URINE-SALIVA-pH-FOR-BODY-LEVELS-/271247951352?pt=UK_Health_HealthCare_RL&hash=item3f27a345f8

Then make a solution from ..lemon? and dilute it as necessary... apply it with a cotton bud and wash it with water and it should be okay, yes?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am not convinced you will be able to stop the process without destroying the battery, but it is not clear to me what you are trying to save.

The only way of slowing the reaction is to keep the battery in as dry place as possible.

Battery wrapper

Sorry, I meant the branding, the film on wrapping the battery. I have since disposed of the battery itself, but wanted to preserve the film:

http://postimg.org/image/z4ifanent/

Sorry for the misunderstanding, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is some kind of plastic foil? I would just wash it with a copious amounts of tap water, perhaps followed with a wash in DI water. Any other approach means you are introducing more compounds that are not necessarily inert.

Likes 1 person
Well I thought about using the pH paper to tell, but the part I test it on might not be uniform, so it could do more damage than good?

Not sure what DI water is please?

rovot said:
Well I thought about using the pH paper to tell, but the part I test it on might not be uniform, so it could do more damage than good?

Not sure what DI water is please?

It's also called 'deionized water', water which has all dissolved ions removed from it:

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1743

As SteamKing explained, DI means deionized. It is just one of many ways of naming water that was purified by any means.

You can use pH paper to test pH of tap water in which the foil is washed, to make sure bath is neutral after wash. To be exact, it won't be exactly neutral, as tap water rarely is. Even DI water won't be neutral, it will typically have pH somewhere around 5.6 due to dissolved carbon dioxide.

But for my purposes it should be fine?

I'm looking to archive the plastic cover.

rovot said:
But for my purposes it should be fine?

I can't think of anything substantially better. Could be those professionally involved in conservation and preservation of antiques/collectibles know better ways of dealing with such a foil. I am not one of them, but I am also reasonably sure water will remove base - and the foil itself was designed to be reasonably resistant, so some water can't be dangerous.

Last edited:
Thank for your help.

1. What is battery acid counter balance for longevity?

Battery acid counter balance for longevity is a technique used to extend the lifespan of batteries by balancing the acidic components within the battery.

2. How does battery acid counter balance work?

Battery acid counter balance works by adding an alkaline solution to the battery to neutralize the acidic components. This helps to prevent corrosion and extend the lifespan of the battery.

3. Why is battery acid counter balance important?

Battery acid counter balance is important because it helps to maintain the proper pH levels within a battery, which is crucial for its optimal performance and longevity. It also helps to prevent damage to the battery and increases its lifespan.

4. Can battery acid counter balance be used on all types of batteries?

No, battery acid counter balance is not suitable for all types of batteries. It is typically used for lead-acid batteries, which are commonly found in cars, trucks, and other vehicles.

5. Is it safe to handle battery acid during the counter balancing process?

No, it is not safe to handle battery acid without proper precautions. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to follow proper safety procedures when dealing with battery acid.

Back