Absorption cross sections of hydrogen ions

In summary, the person is asking for the absorption cross section values for positive hydrogen ions at specific wavelengths, starting with Halpha. They initially thought it would be easy to find online, but it turned out to be more difficult. They need a reliable source for the values and are concerned about citing an online forum. They mention a chart from NIST which only provides spectral lines for hydrogen, not absorption cross sections. They clarify that they need this information for a specific set of photon wavelengths, including Halpha.
Raezeman
hello,

i need the values for the absorption cross sections of positive hydrogen ions for a specific set of wavelengths, Halpha to start with. At first i thought finding this on the web was easy, but turns out to not be trivial at all. If you can help me, i also need the (reliable) source where it comes from, a value alone will help me for a brief moment, but will bring me back to the problem in the long run (i think the scientific community will burn me if i try to publish something like 'i got this value from someone on an online physics forum')

Physics news on Phys.org
euhm, this chart seems to just give spectral lines of hydrogen, while what i need are absorption cross sections, i.e. the measure of probability that the hydrogen ion absorbs a photon, this being dependent on the wavelength. I need this for a specific set of photon wavelenghts, one of which being 656.28 angstum (the Halpha line)

oops

Raezeman said:
hello,

i need the values for the absorption cross sections of positive hydrogen ions for a specific set of wavelengths, Halpha to start with.

Um, H alpha is the line for neutral hydrogen atom, not positive hydrogen ion!

ok wait, I'm getting confused, or mixing up my basic physics, so let me go more broad:
Let's say we have a postiive hydrogen ion being radiated by light with a very broad wavelength range. What wavelengths will get absorbed and what is the corresponding absorption cross section?

1. What is the meaning of absorption cross section of hydrogen ions?

The absorption cross section of hydrogen ions refers to the measure of the probability of a hydrogen ion interacting with a particular wavelength of light and absorbing its energy. It is a crucial parameter in understanding the behavior of hydrogen ions and their interaction with electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is the absorption cross section of hydrogen ions calculated?

The absorption cross section of hydrogen ions is calculated by taking the ratio of the absorbed power by the ions to the incident power of the light source. This calculation takes into account the number of ions, the concentration of the ions, and the properties of the light source such as its wavelength and intensity.

3. What factors affect the absorption cross section of hydrogen ions?

Several factors can affect the absorption cross section of hydrogen ions, including the wavelength of the incident light, the concentration of the ions, and the temperature and pressure of the medium in which the ions are present. Additionally, the energy levels and electronic configurations of the ions can also impact their absorption cross section.

4. What is the significance of studying absorption cross sections of hydrogen ions?

Studying the absorption cross sections of hydrogen ions is essential in various fields, such as astrophysics, atmospheric science, and plasma physics. It helps in understanding the behavior of ions in different environments and their interactions with electromagnetic radiation. This information is crucial in developing technologies such as lasers and in studying the composition and structure of various astronomical objects.

5. Can the absorption cross section of hydrogen ions be changed?

Yes, the absorption cross section of hydrogen ions can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the concentration of the ions or the properties of the light source. Additionally, the absorption cross section can also be modified by changing the energy levels and electronic configurations of the ions through processes such as ionization or excitation.