Potter's Wheel Angular Acceleration Calculation

• Thread starter mustang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the potter's wheel is rotating at an angular velocity of 46 rev/min and will stop in 8.4 seconds if a wet rag is pressed against the rim.
mustang
Problem 3.
A potter's wheel of radius 0.19m and mas 82.10 kg is freely rotating at 46.0 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 8.4 s by pressing a wet rag against the rim
a. What is the angular acceleration of the wheel? In rad/s^2.
Note: Is the formula to use in this problem t=I*a?Where I is moment of inertia and a = angular acceleration. How would the data in the problem be set up in the formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Is the formula to use in this problem t=I*a?Where I is moment of inertia and a = angular acceleration."
What is t? Normally t means time but that doesn't make sense. I*a = force.

Acceleration is change in speed divided by the time required for the change (the problem says "In rad/s^2"- that's rad/s divided by s). Here you are told that the initial speed is 42 rev/ min (how many revolutions is that per second) and that it slows to 0 in 46 seconds. That's all the information you need.

t= torque.
This equation is Newton's second law of rotation. I was wondering if I= 12.5kg*m^2, then to find torque it is force times distance. I was wondering what would be the a to find the force? In addition if it is rev./min for a, do i just leave it in there?

I don't see how you're getting that value for I.
For this object
Icm = (1/2)mr2

But anyway, it's irrelevant here.

As HallsofIvy already told you, you don't need torque or moment of inertia here. You have been given the angular velocity in rev/min, and you are told how long it takes to stop it.

For linear motion:
aavg = Δv/Δt, right?

Just do the equivalent for angular motion (after converting your given angular velocity to the appropriate units).

What is the Potter's Wheel problem?

The Potter's Wheel problem, also known as the "turning wheel" problem, is a classic physics problem that involves a spinning wheel or disk on a horizontal surface. The problem seeks to find the point on the rim of the wheel where a small object can be placed without sliding or rolling off.

What is the significance of the Potter's Wheel problem?

The Potter's Wheel problem is significant because it demonstrates the concept of static friction and its role in keeping an object in place on a rotating surface. It also has practical applications in engineering and design, such as determining the optimal placement of objects on rotating machinery.

What are the key factors that affect the solution to the Potter's Wheel problem?

The key factors that affect the solution to the Potter's Wheel problem include the mass and radius of the wheel, the coefficient of static friction between the wheel and the surface, and the initial velocity of the object placed on the wheel. These factors can affect the point where the object will remain in place on the wheel without sliding or rolling off.

How is the Potter's Wheel problem solved?

The Potter's Wheel problem can be solved using principles of rotational dynamics, specifically the conditions for static equilibrium. By setting up equations for the forces and torques acting on the object, the point of equilibrium can be determined. Additionally, the conservation of energy can also be used to solve the problem.

Are there real-life examples of the Potter's Wheel problem?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of the Potter's Wheel problem. For instance, the placement of objects on a rotating lazy Susan, or the positioning of weights on a spinning flywheel in a car engine. These examples demonstrate the practical applications of understanding the equilibrium of objects on rotating surfaces.