Exploring the Role of Double Bonds in Naming Carboxylic Acids

• Thread starter preet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acids
In summary, the person is questioning the lack of carboxylic acids with double bonds in their parent chains and wondering if there is a reason for this or if it is just a coincidence. They mention examples of benzanoic acid and its cyclic structure, and ask for an explanation as to why they have only seen parent alkane chains in carboxylic acids. They receive a response stating that double bonds in the parent chain are possible, with an example being 2-Propenoic acid. They also ask about the formation of amides from carboxylic acids and ammonia or amines, and provide examples of reactions with these compounds. They question whether these reactions produce esters or amides
preet
I haven't seen any carboxylic acids with double bonds in their parent chains... is this just coincidence or is there a reason that I am not seeing any? I know you can have benzanoic acid ... and even though that's not technically double bonds, its more then one (and its cylic, so its different)... so yeah... just wanted to know why I only saw parent alkane chains in carboxylic acids. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
preet said:
I haven't seen any carboxylic acids with double bonds in their parent chains... is this just coincidence or is there a reason that I am not seeing any? I know you can have benzanoic acid ... and even though that's not technically double bonds, its more then one (and its cylic, so its different)... so yeah... just wanted to know why I only saw parent alkane chains in carboxylic acids. Thanks.

Of course, you can have double bonds in the parent chain. 2-Propenoic acid (ethylenecarboxylic acid or acrylic acid) is one of the simplest of these. http://www.chemicalland21.com/industrialchem/functional Monomer/ACRYLIC ACID.htm

Last edited:
Thanks a lot =)

I have another question. My textbook says I can think of "amides" as the combination of a carboxylic acid and ammonia or an amine.

So letsay I react my carboxylic acid with ammonia...
CH3COOH + NH3 ---> CH3COONH4

Is this an amide? The name for this compound says it is ammonium ethanoate (http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/acids/acidity.html) so this means it is an ester right? Why?

another example is with an amine...
CH3COOH + CH3NH2 ---> CH3COOHCH3NH3

Again, this is an ester (according to the site)... so what am I missing here? What kind of reaction with ammonia or amines do I need to create an amide from a carboxylic acid? TiA

Preet

1. What is a carboxylic acid?

A carboxylic acid is a type of organic compound that contains a carboxyl group (-COOH) attached to a carbon atom. It is characterized by its acidic properties and is commonly found in many naturally occurring substances such as vinegar, citrus fruits, and amino acids.

2. How are carboxylic acids named?

Carboxylic acids are named using the IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) system. The name is based on the parent chain of the molecule, with the suffix -oic acid added to the end. The position of the carboxyl group is indicated by a number and the substituents are named as prefixes.

3. What are the common naming conventions for carboxylic acids?

The most common naming conventions include using the common name, which is often based on the source of the acid (e.g. acetic acid from vinegar), or using the systematic IUPAC name, which follows a specific set of rules for naming organic compounds.

4. How do you name a substituted carboxylic acid?

A substituted carboxylic acid is named by first identifying the parent chain, which includes the carboxyl group and any substituents. The substituents are then named and listed in alphabetical order, with their positions indicated by numbers. Finally, the suffix -oic acid is added to the end.

5. Are there any exceptions to the naming rules for carboxylic acids?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the naming rules for carboxylic acids. For example, when there is a double bond in the parent chain, the suffix -oic acid is replaced with -enoic acid. In addition, some common carboxylic acids have unique names that are not based on the IUPAC system, such as formic acid and lactic acid.