Magnitude of Stars - Flux, Photon Counts

In summary, the conversation discusses using a program called "Photoelectric Photometry of the Pleiades" to measure the apparent magnitude of stars in the Pleiades cluster. The question involves verifying if the program is converting flux ratios to magnitude differences correctly. The purpose of measuring two stars close together is to get a better approximation of their relative brightness as different parts of the detector may have different sensitivities. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the sky and system dark current when performing the measurements.
dekoi
For an assignment, we were told to use a program titled "Photoelectric Photometry of the Pleiades", located at this website.

It is basically a simulation of a telescope, in which we can "measure" the apparent magnitude of the stars in the Pleiades cluster.
My question is as follows:

Show that the program is at least faking the results continuously. Measure the V magnitudes of any two stars which are close together. Also record the counts for each star. Verify that the program is correctly convreting flux ratios to magnitude differences. To do this, you will have to determine how the flux is related to the photon count. (Don't forget the sky.)

My answer is as follows:
photon count is proportional to flux

Therefore,
[tex]\frac{P_2}{P_1}=\frac{F_2}{F_1}=\frac{1067491}{1976639}[/tex]
(I used the average photon counts from both stars).

Theoretically, the difference in magnitudes should be,
[tex]m_2 - m_1 = 6.43 - 5.76 = 0.67[/tex]
(I used the apparent magnitudes that I "recorded" with the telescope).

Using the flux ratio, the difference in magnitudes should be,
[tex]m_2 - m_1 = -2.5log(\frac{1067491}{1976639}) = 0.669 = 0.67[/tex]

I obviously obtained the correct results. However, I did not consider anything about the sky, which was a "hint" given in the question.
Also, what is the purpose of finding the magnitudes of 2 stars which are close to each other?

I do not understand how this shows that the program is faking the results, if they are converting the flux ratios to magnitude differences correctly.

Thank you for any help -- Sorry for the long post.

Physics news on Phys.org
dekoi said:
I obviously obtained the correct results. However, I did not consider anything about the sky, which was a "hint" given in the question.

Your calculation looks fine. Does the program give a value for the sky? If not, you should be able to get a rough value by looking at the photon counts in a "blank" part of the sky (no stars around). If your detector has a linear response (was this discussed at all?), then you have to subtract the sky from photon counts for the stars. This subtraction will depend on the sky area over which the program counted photons in order to derive the star's photon counts...and that, presumably, will depend upon the point spread function of your instrument.

This all can get rather complicated and I'm not sure what level of sophistication your professor is expecting. Perhaps you could elaborate more on what you discussed in class and how you performed the measurements.

Also, what is the purpose of finding the magnitudes of 2 stars which are close to each other?

Different parts of the detector generally have different sensitivities, so if this has not been automatically corrected for, then the photon counts of a given star will depend on the part of the detector its light hits. Two stars close together are hitting roughly the same part of the detector, so their relative photon counts should be a good approximation to their relative brightnesses.

In order to perform the measurements, I:
1- Took a photon count for the background sky.
2- Took a photon count on the star.
3- We were told that the program automatically subtracts the "sky count" from the "star count".

We didn't discuss much in class... a few equations were mentioned, and that is all I know. That is basically why I'm having trouble.

Thank you for responding.

dekoi said:
In order to perform the measurements, I:
1- Took a photon count for the background sky.
2- Took a photon count on the star.

Is it the count per pixel? To get a real star photon count, one would have to integrate over the point spread function. Maybe this complication is being disregarded.

3- We were told that the program automatically subtracts the "sky count" from the "star count".

Then I don't see why you would have to worry about the sky.

Is it the count per pixel? To get a real star photon count, one would have to integrate over the point spread function. Maybe this complication is being disregarded.

I'm not sure about this. We don't have to go into great detail with the mathematics.

dekoi said:
I'm not sure about this. We don't have to go into great detail with the mathematics.

From what you've told me, it sounds like you should just go with what you have.

I think so to.

Thank you very much for responding so quickly-- you are one of the few very helpful people I have found on this forum. :)

dekoi said:
Thank you very much for responding so quickly-- you are one of the few very helpful people I have found on this forum.

Nah, there just aren't that many astronomers hanging around. :wink:

isn't the equation is" m2-m1=log(f2/f1)"

now i am confused
can anyone tell me where i went wrong

Sky, star, sky, comparison star, repeat.

You have to subtract the sky.
You also need to subtract the system dark current.

m = −2.5 log F − 18.88

m = apparent magnitude
F = flux in watts per square meter

1. What is flux?

Flux is the measure of the amount of energy that passes through a surface per unit time. In the context of stars, it refers to the amount of energy radiated by a star per unit area per unit time.

2. How is flux related to the magnitude of a star?

The magnitude of a star is a measure of its brightness as seen from Earth. The brighter the star, the lower its magnitude. Flux and magnitude are inversely related, meaning that as flux increases, magnitude decreases.

3. What is the difference between apparent magnitude and absolute magnitude?

Apparent magnitude is a measure of how bright a star appears from Earth, taking into account factors such as distance and atmospheric conditions. Absolute magnitude, on the other hand, is a measure of how bright a star would appear if it were located at a standard distance of 10 parsecs (32.6 light years) from Earth.

4. What are photon counts?

Photon counts refer to the number of individual particles of light (photons) that are detected by a telescope or other instrument. This can be used to measure the flux of a star and determine its magnitude.

5. How is the magnitude of a star determined from photon counts?

The relationship between photon counts and magnitude is not a direct one, as different wavelengths of light may have different numbers of photons. However, by using a calibration curve or standard star, scientists can determine the magnitude of a star based on its measured photon counts.