Voltage dealing with two parallel plates

In summary, the problem involves two conducting sheets of charge with thickness a, one with a net charge per unit area of -s and the other with +s. The left sheet is situated at x = -2a to -a and the right sheet is situated at x = a to 2a. The electric field flows to the left and the potential is higher on the right (+x) and lower on the left (-x). Potential is zero somewhere between the plates, but the electric field is not zero. This is similar to a parallel plate capacitor.
Giuseppe
Hey guys. I'm having trouble analyzing a part of this problem.

Two conducting, infinite sheets of charge (with thickness a) are fixed perpendicular to the x-axis as shown. The sheet from x = -2a cm to x = -a has a net charge per unit area -s and the sheet from x = +a to x = +2a has a net charge per unit area +s. (Note: the notation Vx1 » x2 is equivalent to Vx2 - Vx1.)

So basically the left plate is situated at -2a to -a, and the right play is situated at a to 2a. I know the electric field flows to the left.

Knowing this I must answer these questions.

1. the potential going from the right side of the right plate and approaching the plate is...
a. <0
b. =0
c. >0

I believe that it is zero because there isn't a net electric field at this point. Is that right?

2. The potential going from the edge of the right plate through the right plate to the other side is...
a.>0
b.=0
c.<0
I want to say its >0, but I don't know exactly why. Can anyone lead me in the right direction here?

3. The potential going from the inside of the right plate to the inside of the left plate is...
a.>0
b.=0
c.<0
I say it is <0 because the electric field is uniform on the inside. Also, since you are moving to the negative end of the field, potential is negative.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
By +s and -s, does one mean +[itex]\sigma[/itex] and -[itex]\sigma[/itex], which means the plate on the right (+x) has a positive charge and the plate on the left (-x) has a negative charge. Therefore the plate on the right has a higher potential than the plate on the left.

The electric field points for + potential (+ charge) to - potential (- charge), by convention.

Somewhere in between the potential must be zero, but the electric field is not zero anywhere between the plates. Think of a parallel plate capacitor.

As a scientist, the first thing I would recommend is to review the concept of voltage and how it relates to electric fields and potential energy. Voltage is a measure of the potential difference between two points in an electric field. In this case, the two parallel plates are creating an electric field between them, and the voltage will vary at different points within that field.

1. The potential going from the right side of the right plate and approaching the plate is...
a. <0 b. =0 c. >0

Since the right plate has a positive charge, the electric field will point away from the plate, meaning that the potential decreases as you move away from the plate. Therefore, the potential at the right side of the right plate and approaching the plate will be <0.

2. The potential going from the edge of the right plate through the right plate to the other side is... a.>0 b.=0 c.<0

As mentioned before, the electric field points away from the right plate. When you move through the plate, you are moving in the opposite direction of the electric field, meaning that the potential will increase. Therefore, the potential going from the edge of the right plate through the right plate to the other side will be >0.

3. The potential going from the inside of the right plate to the inside of the left plate is... a.>0 b.=0 c.<0

Since the electric field is uniform on the inside of the plates, the potential will remain constant as you move from one plate to the other. However, since the electric field is pointing from the right plate to the left plate, the potential will decrease as you move in that direction. Therefore, the potential going from the inside of the right plate to the inside of the left plate will be <0.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of voltage in relation to two parallel plates and their electric field. It's important to remember that voltage is a measure of potential difference and can vary at different points within an electric field. Keep reviewing the concept and practicing problems to solidify your understanding. Good luck!

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy per unit charge that is converted from electrical potential energy to kinetic energy as charges move from one point to another.

2. How is voltage related to two parallel plates?

When two parallel plates are connected to a voltage source, they create an electric field between them. The voltage is directly proportional to the strength of this electric field. The closer the plates are together, the stronger the electric field and the higher the voltage.

3. What is the formula for calculating voltage in a parallel plate setup?

The formula for calculating voltage in a parallel plate setup is V = Ed, where V is the voltage, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance between the plates. This relationship is known as the parallel plate capacitor equation.

4. How does the distance between the parallel plates affect the voltage?

The distance between the parallel plates has a direct effect on the voltage. As the distance decreases, the electric field strength increases, resulting in a higher voltage. Conversely, as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases, resulting in a lower voltage.

5. What factors can affect the voltage in a parallel plate setup?

The voltage in a parallel plate setup can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the plates, the material of the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the type of voltage source used. Temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the voltage. Additionally, the presence of any other conductive materials in the vicinity of the plates can alter the electric field and therefore affect the voltage.