Understanding Down's Syndrome: A Disorder of Thought or Expression?

In summary: There is a study that has been done on the differences in the brain structure of individuals with Down syndrome. It seems that the frontal lobe, which is responsible for judgment, reasoning, and problem solving, is smaller in those with Down syndrome. So while they may not be able to communicate effectively, they may be able to think more logically.
scott_alexsk
Hello, I was wondering what exactly Down's Sydrome is a disorder of? I mean is it a disorder in the expression of ones thoughts into movements, such as speech, or is it a disorder that directly effects the thought process?
-Scott

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
It is caused by a mutation at the gene level, and I believe the developing embryo brain is expressed differently, causing the cognitive and motor deficits.

You may have also heard it called "Trisomy 21", which refers to the triplication in the 21st pair of human chromoses and serves as the genetic flaw that initiates the syndrome. Check out http://www.ds-health.com/trisomy.htm" .

Last edited by a moderator:
scott_alexsk said:
Hello, I was wondering what exactly Down's Sydrome is a disorder of? I mean is it a disorder in the expression of ones thoughts into movements, such as speech, or is it a disorder that directly effects the thought process?
-Scott
Firstly the cognitive development is quite variable in individuals with Down syndrome. There is mild to moderate mental retardation, while emotional and social abilities can be quite normal. I do think there are also problems with physically expressing themselves, speech therapy addresses that problem.

Well it seems that my sister, who has Down's Syndrome, is not necessarily incapible of understanding what really happens and how things work, but she is unable to communicate effectively. I mean over time we understand what she means and what she wants, but I know her actual mind is beyond what she is able to express in words. She has only moderate Down's Syndrome with no heart defects. Though one thing that is interesting about her is that she is very resistant to change, and very stubborn seemingly randomly from time to time. I mean 'no' is nearly her favorite word, but as of late she has been better. I wonder what is exactly changed in her brain that causes this. Have they ever done a study on the difference in structure?
-scott

1. What causes Down's syndrome?

The most common cause of Down's syndrome is the presence of an extra copy of chromosome 21, also known as trisomy 21. This extra copy is usually caused by a random error during cell division.

2. Is Down's syndrome hereditary?

Most cases of Down's syndrome are not inherited, but rather occur due to a random error during cell division. However, in rare cases, Down's syndrome can be inherited from a parent who carries a genetic mutation that causes the extra chromosome.

3. What are the symptoms of Down's syndrome?

Individuals with Down's syndrome may have a range of physical and developmental symptoms, including intellectual disability, distinct facial features, heart defects, and delayed motor skills. However, the severity of these symptoms can vary greatly among individuals.

4. Can Down's syndrome be treated?

There is no cure for Down's syndrome, but many of the symptoms can be managed through early intervention programs, special education, and medical treatment. With proper support and care, individuals with Down's syndrome can lead fulfilling and independent lives.

5. How common is Down's syndrome?

Down's syndrome is the most common chromosomal disorder, affecting about 1 in every 700 babies born in the United States. The likelihood of having a child with Down's syndrome increases with the mother's age, but it can occur in women of any age.