Analytical Mechanics References

In summary, the conversation is about seeking recommendations for books on Mechanics at the same level as "Analytical Mechanics" by Fowles & Cassiday. Two suggestions were given - Marion and Thornton, and Symon, with the latter being more detailed.
particleaccelerator
Hi,

I am looking for books which discuss Mechanics at the same level as "Analytical Mechanics" by Fowles & Cassiday. If you know of any can you please help.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Marion and Thornton is one, and Symon is another, which was what I used as an undergraduate, mainly because Symon was a U. of Wis. prof.

Zz.

I second the recommendation of Symon, which, while pitched at about the same level, is more detailed than Fowles. Though I'm judging from an ancient https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007F9T8M/?tag=pfamazon01-20, and a 3rd edition of Fowles. Both were really helpful reviewing for graduate mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is analytical mechanics?

Analytical mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics that uses mathematical methods, such as calculus and differential equations, to study the motion of particles and systems.

2. What are some commonly used analytical mechanics references?

Some commonly used analytical mechanics references include books such as "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Analytical Mechanics" by Alexander Ziwet, and "Analytical Mechanics" by Louis N. Hand and Janet D. Finch.

3. How is analytical mechanics different from other branches of mechanics?

Analytical mechanics is different from other branches of mechanics, such as Newtonian mechanics and Lagrangian mechanics, in that it focuses on using mathematical methods to solve problems and derive equations of motion.

4. What are some real-world applications of analytical mechanics?

Analytical mechanics has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to study the motion of objects in space, design structures and machines, and understand the behavior of complex systems.

5. What background knowledge is needed to understand analytical mechanics?

To understand analytical mechanics, a strong foundation in calculus, differential equations, and physics is necessary. Familiarity with concepts such as forces, energy, and motion is also important.