Wells' Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers

In summary, Wells' "Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers" has been published in various editions, including 1986, 1987, 1997, and 2020.172i. The 1986, 1987, and 1997 editions are not very interesting, but the 2020.172i edition is recommended. There is also a list of "uninteresting" numbers, with the smallest starting at 54 in the revised edition. This list is different in the original edition, with the smallest uninteresting number being 43. However, the concept of an "uninteresting" number is not well-defined and may break certain principles in set theory.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Wells' "Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers"

Does anyone have a copy of Wells' "Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers" 1986 or 1987 edition? I'm curious about how they compare to the revised (1997) version I have.

On a lark, I decided to put together a list of "uninteresting" numbers. I started when I realized I'd seen a number of web pages devoted to the opposite, as well as the book mentioned above. My idea was simple: list whole numbers that did not appear on any of the lists I had, starting from the smallest. In the revised edition, this starts 54, 57, 58, 67, 75, 78, 80, 82, 83, 92, ... How does this compare to the original? o:)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
CRGreathouse said:
Does anyone have a copy of Wells' "Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers" 1986 or 1987 edition? I'm curious about how they compare to the revised (1997) version I have.
Actually, the 1986,1987 and 1997 editions are not very interesting. Try Try the 2020.172i edition.

:biggrin:

Hmm, not seen one of those. :wink:

CRGreathouse said:

On a lark, I decided to put together a list of "uninteresting" numbers. I started when I realized I'd seen a number of web pages devoted to the opposite, as well as the book mentioned above. My idea was simple: list whole numbers that did not appear on any of the lists I had, starting from the smallest. In the revised edition, this starts 54, 57, 58, 67, 75, 78, 80, 82, 83, 92, ... How does this compare to the original? o:)

Resurecting an old post...

The original has the following 'boring numbers'
43, 51, 54, 57 (although 57.296…° 1 rad does appear), 58, 62, 67, 68, 74, 75, 78, 80, 82, 83, 86, 87, 92, 93, 95, 106, 107, 109, 110, …

Edited to add: Well... I should of looked at your link first, clearly you have found a copy of the first edition in this time. Also I missed '39' which is simultaneously interesting and un-interesting.
An engineers should have paid more attention to detail!

How did nobody post anything about the old joke that you can't list the first uninteresting number?

Office_Shredder said:
How did nobody post anything about the old joke that you can't list the first uninteresting number?

:rofl:

Office_Shredder said:

Actually, IS that a sound proof?

Animastryfe said:
Actually, IS that a sound proof?

I don't think it is legal to create the set of interesting positive integers. It is sort of a variation of russels paradox. I think, but I am not sure, that it breaks with a certain principle/axiom in set theory.

It breaks down when you request a list of uninteresting numbers. That itself affects the status of 'being interesting' for each integer (since the least one is interesting), so also a common-sense view of the situation makes it difficult to justify such a request.

Arguably, we could all accept that being interesting is not a well-defined property of integers.

Boring_Nos said:
Resurecting an old post...

The original has the following 'boring numbers'
43, 51, 54, 57 (although 57.296…° 1 rad does appear), 58, 62, 67, 68, 74, 75, 78, 80, 82, 83, 86, 87, 92, 93, 95, 106, 107, 109, 110, …

Thank you!

Boring_Nos said:
Well... I should of looked at your link first, clearly you have found a copy of the first edition in this time. Also I missed '39' which is simultaneously interesting and un-interesting.
An engineers should have paid more attention to detail!

I was only able to find an excerpt, so the list is new to me.

Jarle said:
It is sort of a variation of russels paradox. I think, but I am not sure, that it breaks with a certain principle/axiom in set theory.
Annnnnnd of course, there's an http://xkcd.com/468/" about that...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Wells' Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers"?

"Wells' Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers" is a book written by mathematician David Wells. It is a comprehensive collection of fascinating and unusual numbers, including their properties, origins, and connections to other mathematical concepts.

2. Who is David Wells?

David Wells is a British mathematician and author, known for his popular books on mathematics, including "The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers" and "The Penguin Book of Curious and Interesting Mathematics". He has also taught mathematics at multiple universities and has contributed to various mathematical journals.

3. What kind of numbers are included in this dictionary?

The dictionary contains a wide range of numbers, from simple integers to complex numbers, prime numbers, Fibonacci numbers, and many more. It also includes numbers with interesting properties, such as palindromic numbers, perfect numbers, and Mersenne primes.

4. How can this dictionary be useful for mathematicians?

This dictionary can be a valuable resource for mathematicians as it contains a vast collection of numbers and their properties. It can serve as a reference for exploring new mathematical concepts, as well as a source of inspiration for further research and exploration.

5. Is "Wells' Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers" suitable for non-mathematicians?

Yes, this dictionary is suitable for non-mathematicians as well. The book is written in an accessible and engaging manner, making it interesting and enjoyable for anyone with an interest in numbers and mathematics. It can be a great way to learn about the beauty and mysteries of numbers without needing a strong mathematical background.