Pop. Books on Evolution and Genetics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of natural selection and the desire to gain a better understanding of evolution as a layman. The individual mentions their previous biology class and their recent interest in books such as Watson's DNA and Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale. They are seeking recommendations for a book that presents established knowledge rather than personal views, and mentions The Selfish Gene and Genetics as potential options. Another book, The Blind Watchmaker, is suggested as a more readable and gentle introduction. Finally, the conversation suggests reading Darwin's Origin of Species as a way to learn the basics and roots of evolution.
neutrino
Probably on the list of top 5 interesting (science) topics, of which I know next to nothing. Okay, natural selection, survival of the fittest and all that, but I'd like to have a better understanding, at least at the level of a layman.

My last biology class was in school, about 7 years ago, and we were learning about diseases and stuff. :uhh: I bought a couple of books a year or so ago on a whim: Watson's DNA and Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale. I found the latter's synopsis quite interesting, but after reading it for a while, I realized that I'd understand it better if I read a primer on Evolution first.

So I'm looking for recommendations. I hear that The Selfish Gene is a "controversial" book. For a first read, I'd prefer a book that presents less of the author's own views/hypotheses, and more of what is already known and tested. Same goes for Genetics, too.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you just want to learn the basics and roots of evolution, you can always pop on over to your local bookstore and pick up Darwin's Origin of Species.

Just be warned, it is quite dull for a good majority of the book.

Another Dawkins book, The Blind Watchmaker, I've heard, is a gentler introduction and very readable.

1. What is the theory of evolution?

The theory of evolution is a scientific explanation for how species have changed over time and how new species have arisen. It states that all living organisms share a common ancestor and that the diversity of life on Earth is the result of gradual changes and adaptations over millions of years.

2. How does natural selection work?

Natural selection is the process by which certain traits become more or less common in a population over time. It occurs when individuals with advantageous traits are more likely to survive and reproduce, passing on those traits to their offspring. Over many generations, this can lead to significant changes in a population.

3. What is genetics and how does it relate to evolution?

Genetics is the study of genes, heredity, and genetic variation in living organisms. It is closely related to evolution because it helps explain how traits are passed down from parents to offspring. Genetic variations can also provide the raw material for natural selection to act upon, driving evolution.

4. What evidence supports the theory of evolution?

There is a vast amount of evidence from various fields of science that supports the theory of evolution. This includes fossil records, genetic studies, comparative anatomy and embryology, biogeography, and observation of natural selection in action. The combination of all these pieces of evidence provides a strong case for the validity of the theory.

5. How does evolution impact our understanding of human beings?

Evolution has greatly influenced our understanding of human beings and our place in the natural world. It has helped explain the similarities and differences between humans and other species, as well as our shared evolutionary history. Evolutionary biology also plays a crucial role in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and conservation, helping us better understand and address human health and environmental issues.