Absolute Convergence of z: \mathbb{N}^2 to \mathbb{C}

In summary: The statement 3) says that if z satisfies the condition then the sum satisfies the condition. The condition is that the sums converge absolutely.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Let [itex]z : \mathbb{N}^2 \to \mathbb{C}[/itex]. Suppose that:

1) for all natural n, [itex]\sum _{j \in \mathbb{N}}z(n,j)[/itex] converges absolutely.

2) for all natural j, [itex]\sum _{n \in \mathbb{N}}z(n,j)[/itex] converges absolutely.

3) [itex]\sum _{n \in \mathbb{N}}\left (\sum _{j \in \mathbb{N}} z(n,j)\right )[/itex] converges absolutely.

Can we conclude that

4) [itex]\sum _{j \in \mathbb{N}}\left (\sum _{n \in \mathbb{N}} z(n,j)\right )[/itex] converges absolutely as well, with

[tex]\sum _{j \in \mathbb{N}}\left (\sum _{n \in \mathbb{N}} z(n,j)\right ) = \sum _{n \in \mathbb{N}}\left (\sum _{j \in \mathbb{N}} z(n,j)\right )[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question here? If you want to prove it, see Folland's "Real Analysis: Modern Techniques and Their Applications. For errata, see Folland's website.

Yes there is a question here, see statement 4.

answer to statement !?

I reads like an application of the Fubini -Tonelli Thm. (and no question mark).

"Can we conclude that..."...if your picky stick a question mark on the end.

AKG said:
Let [itex]z : \mathbb{N}^2 \to \mathbb{C}[/itex]. Suppose that:

Can we conclude that

4) [itex]\sum _{j \in \mathbb{N}}\left (\sum _{n \in \mathbb{N}} z(n,j)\right )[/itex] converges absolutely as well, with

[tex]\sum _{j \in \mathbb{N}}\left (\sum _{n \in \mathbb{N}} z(n,j)\right ) = \sum _{n \in \mathbb{N}}\left (\sum _{j \in \mathbb{N}} z(n,j)\right )[/tex]
?

I claim there exists a z such that:

[tex]\forall n: \sum_j z(n, j) = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\forall j: \sum_n z(n, j) = 1 [/tex]

are all absolutely convergent sums. And clearly a sum of zeroes is absolutely convergent...

If you're going to come up with a counter-example, look for a simple one! I didn't come up with this one until I stopped trying to make clever counter-examples.

(In fact, we can arrange it so that each sum has a finite number of nonzeroes!)

The way to think about counter examples for these is to think about the lattice of NxN, and summing rows, then columns etc. It is usually quite easy to come up with counter examples. My counter example was this:

z(1,j)= 1-1+0+0+0...
z(2,j)=0+0+1-1+0+0+...each horizontal sum is zero. The vertical sums are alternately 1,-1,1,-1,... which doesn't converge, never mind absolutely.

Thanks guys! I had a problem where part of it had a z(n,j) satisfying 1-3 and I needed it to satisfy 4. Fortunately, I had other hypotheses to work with and I ended up using those to get 4. But it was good seeing your counterexamples. In general, what conditions do we need to get 4? PlanetMath gives a sufficient condition http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/DoubleSeries.html , is there a concise way to express a necessary and sufficient condition?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the question makes sense, the statement 3) was not clear.

What is absolute convergence?

Absolute convergence is a mathematical concept that refers to the convergence of a series of numbers or values regardless of their order. In other words, the sum of the absolute values of the terms in the series converges, regardless of the order in which the terms are added.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

The main difference between absolute and conditional convergence is the order in which the terms of a series are added. Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of a series regardless of the order of the terms, while conditional convergence only occurs when the series converges when the terms are added in a specific order.

How is absolute convergence related to the convergence of complex numbers?

In the context of complex numbers, absolute convergence refers to the convergence of a series of complex numbers regardless of their position on the complex plane. This means that the real and imaginary components of the complex numbers must both converge for the series to be absolutely convergent.

What is the importance of absolute convergence in mathematics?

Absolute convergence is important in mathematics because it guarantees the convergence of a series regardless of the order of its terms. This allows for easier calculation and analysis of series and provides a stronger understanding of their behavior.

How can I determine if a series of complex numbers is absolutely convergent?

To determine if a series of complex numbers is absolutely convergent, you can use the comparison test, ratio test, or root test, which are methods commonly used to test for the convergence of series. These tests involve comparing the series to a known convergent or divergent series and analyzing the behavior of its terms.