Proving Number Theory: Prime Numbers and Congruences

In summary, the problem states that given a prime number p that is congruent to 1 modulo 3, and an integer a that is not divisible by p, if the congruence x^3 is equivalent to a modulo p has a solution, then a^(p-1)/3 is also equivalent to 1 modulo p. The solution involves using Fermat's little theorem and the assumption that gcd(x,p) does not equal 1. By contradiction, it is shown that gcd(x,p) cannot be greater than 1, thus proving the solution.
ElDavidas

Homework Statement

Let [itex] p [/itex] be a prime number such that [itex]p \equiv 1 (mod 3) [/itex]

Let [itex]a[/itex] be an integer not divisible by [itex]p[/itex]. Show that if the congruence [itex] x^3 \equiv a (mod p) [/itex] has a solution then

[tex] a^{\frac{p - 1} {3}} \equiv 1 (mod p) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Right, I'm not sure how to prove this. I've got a couple of ideas at how things might relate to one another.

I can see that [itex]gcd(a,p) = 1[/itex] and also that

[itex] \frac{p-1}{3} = k [/itex] for some integer k. I think this relates to the power of a in the equation.

[tex] a^{\frac{p - 1} {3}} \equiv 1 (mod p) [/tex].

Could you also apply fermat's little theorem in some way to this?

Also, I don't know what to do with [itex] x^3 \equiv a (mod p) [/itex].

Could someone give me a hint or two in how to prove this? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hint:
[tex]x^{p-1}\equiv 1 \mod{p}[/tex]
by Fermat's little theorem.not enough?
what is [tex]x^{p-1}[/tex] equivalent to in terms of a?

try contradiction.

Last edited:
Substitute x^3 for a in your congruence. And, yes, use Fermat's little theorem.

ok, so far my solution is as follows:

[itex] x^3 \equiv a (mod p)[/itex]

Then [itex] x \equiv a^{\frac{1}{3}} (mod p)[/itex]

So by Fermat, [itex] x^{p-1} \equiv 1 (mod p)[/itex] or

[tex] a^{\frac{1(p-1)}{3}} \equiv 1 (mod p)[/tex]

Would I need to say [itex] gcd (x,p) = 1[/itex]? If so, how is this true?

ElDavidas said:
ok, so far my solution is as follows:

[itex] x^3 \equiv a (mod p)[/itex]

Then [itex] x \equiv a^{\frac{1}{3}} (mod p)[/itex]

So by Fermat, [itex] x^{p-1} \equiv 1 (mod p)[/itex] or

[tex] a^{\frac{1(p-1)}{3}} \equiv 1 (mod p)[/tex]

Would I need to say [itex] gcd (x,p) = 1[/itex]? If so, how is this true?

Clearly, yes, you need to show gcd(x,p)=1! How might that be possible?

I'm not sure. Could you use the Euclidean Algorithm? I've also been trying to find a contradiction by assuming that [itex] gcd (x,p) \neq 1 [/itex].

p is a prime. gcd(a,p)=1 says p does not divide a. Is it possible for p to divide x?

Ah, I see now! Thanks.

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of integers, or whole numbers, and their properties. It is particularly concerned with topics such as prime numbers, divisibility, and congruences.

2. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are positive integers that have exactly two divisors, 1 and itself. In other words, they are numbers that can only be divided by 1 and itself, without leaving a remainder. Examples of prime numbers include 2, 3, 5, 7, and so on.

3. What is a congruence?

Congruence is a mathematical concept that relates to the equality of remainders when two numbers are divided by the same divisor. In other words, two numbers are said to be congruent if they leave the same remainder when divided by a certain number. For example, 11 and 23 are congruent when divided by 12, since they both leave a remainder of 11.

4. How do you prove that a number is prime?

There are various methods for proving that a number is prime, including trial division, the Sieve of Eratosthenes, and the AKS primality test. These methods involve checking for certain properties or patterns in the number that are specific to prime numbers. For very large numbers, advanced algorithms and techniques are used to prove primality.

5. Why is number theory important?

Number theory has many practical applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics. It also helps us understand the fundamental properties of numbers and their relationships, which has implications for other areas of mathematics. Additionally, number theory problems often lead to new discoveries and advancements in mathematical theory.