Motorcycle Carrier: Adding Load to Rear/Front Axles

In summary, with a weight of 400 lbs and a wheelbase of 144" and 192", you would expect to add 80% of the weight (320 lbs) to the rear axle, and 20% (80 lbs) to the front.
b sosebee
Thanks for all the help with the information you all gave me on making an motorcycle carrier on the back of my Motor-home, I downsized from wanting to carry my Goldwing (800#) to carrying my Suzuki 400 DRZ 400 lbs with carrier. The added load to the rear axle and the load off the front axle was noticeable when driving. Here's my question, with the total weight of 400# and a wheel base of 144" and 192" from center of rear axle to center of carrier what would my added load to the rear axle and how much off the front? Thanks Bill ( PS some of you asked why not just trailer the motor cycles, the reason is some rv spots are not big enough for the rv and trailer plus with just one bike on the back its easier to maneuver.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The total weight of 400 lbs should not be too much of an issue for the motorhome, since the rear axle is likely rated to support much more weight than that. The amount of load added to the rear axle will depend on the weight distribution of your motorhome, as well as how you mount the carrier. If it's mounted directly over the rear axle, then you can expect roughly half of the weight (200 lbs) to be added to the rear axle. If it's mounted further back, then you'll have less weight on the rear axle and more on the front. For example, if the carrier is mounted 144" from the center of the rear axle, then you can expect about 80% of the weight (320 lbs) to be on the rear axle, and 20% (80 lbs) to be on the front. If it's mounted 192" from the center of the rear axle, then you can expect about 60% of the weight (240 lbs) to be on the rear axle, and 40% (160 lbs) to be on the front. It's important to note that this is just a rough estimate, and the actual weight distribution will depend on the specific setup of your motorhome.

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear that the information provided was helpful in creating your motorcycle carrier on the back of your motor-home. It's important to consider the weight distribution when adding any kind of load to a vehicle, especially when it comes to motorcycles.

Based on the information provided, the added load to the rear axle would be approximately 400 pounds. As for the load off the front axle, it's a bit more complicated to determine without knowing the specific weight distribution of your motor-home and the weight of the carrier itself. However, with the weight of the motorcycle being 400 pounds and the distance from the center of the rear axle to the center of the carrier being 192 inches, there would be some weight taken off the front axle.

It's always best to consult with a professional or refer to your motor-home's manual for more accurate and specific information on weight distribution and added load to the axles. It's also important to regularly check and adjust the tire pressure to ensure safe driving conditions.

I hope this helps and happy travels with your Suzuki DRZ 400!

1. How much weight can a motorcycle carrier handle?

The weight limit of a motorcycle carrier varies depending on the type and model of the carrier. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's specifications to determine the weight limit for your specific carrier. Generally, rear carriers can handle between 300-600 pounds while front carriers can handle up to 200 pounds.

2. Can I add a motorcycle carrier to any type of vehicle?

No, not all vehicles are suitable for a motorcycle carrier. It is important to consult with a professional to determine if your vehicle is compatible with a carrier and what type of carrier would be best for your vehicle. Factors such as weight limit, size, and attachment methods should be considered.

3. How do I properly secure my motorcycle to the carrier?

Properly securing your motorcycle to the carrier is crucial for safe transportation. The motorcycle should be placed in the middle of the carrier and secured with straps or tie-downs to prevent movement. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for securing your specific carrier and motorcycle.

4. Can I still tow a trailer while using a motorcycle carrier?

It is not recommended to tow a trailer while using a motorcycle carrier. The additional weight and strain on the vehicle's rear axle can cause damage and affect the handling of the vehicle. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the compatibility of towing a trailer with a motorcycle carrier.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a motorcycle carrier?

Yes, it is important to take certain safety precautions when using a motorcycle carrier. These include properly securing the carrier to the vehicle, properly securing the motorcycle to the carrier, and checking the weight limit of the carrier. It is also recommended to periodically check the carrier and motorcycle during transportation to ensure they are still secure.