How does your brain decide what to remember?

• Medical
  • Thread starter mikemortal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the group discusses the phenomenon of remembering insignificant events from childhood over major events in life. They also discuss how memories are stored and retrieved, with some suggesting that memories are tied to emotional situations and others proposing that all memories are stored and can be recalled with the right technique. The conversation also touches on the idea of using hypnotherapy to recall traumatic events and the potential benefits and drawbacks of doing so.
orthoped said:
yes even i agree with mike. Childhood memories are quite random and based on some unique mechanism

I'm not so sure they're random, and I think we remember them all. I simply think we don't recall them until something trips the memories.

The reason I say this is because I've gotten together with childhood friends over the years who've said, "Do you remember when..." and as soon as they mentioned it, before mentioning any details, the entire escapade flooded back into mind, including conversational/situationl details. I simply had not recalled it since the event took place.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't have many random memories. Each memory I have is definitely due to some sort of interest I had on it. I'm more fascinated with how much things we forget?

I've read about cannabinoids playing a role in what our brain decides to forget. Cannabinoids act in retrograde signaling (signals that go in the opposite direction of the action potential, basically) which makes it a candidate for potentiation. Cannabinoid receptors are found in high concentrations in the Hippocampus, responsible for a lot of memory functions.