Carnot Cycle, how ideal is it?

In summary: Qc/T2)-(Qc/T2) ...= Qc(T2-T1)/T2 ...= (Th-Tc)/T2*QcIn summary, the Carnot engine is a theoretical device used to understand the limitations of real heat engines. Real engines do not operate on the Carnot cycle and their efficiency is lower than that of the Carnot engine. Attempts to build a Carnot engine are not being made because it would have too low of an efficiency and zero power. The maximum work that a real heat engine can perform is calculated using the equation Wmax = (Th-Tc)/T2*Qc, taking into account the change in entropy of the hot and cold reservoirs
xinlan

Homework Statement

We have stressed that the Carnot engine does not exist in real life: It is a purely theoretical device, useful for understanding the limitations of heat engines. Real engines never operate on the Carnot cycle; their efficiency is hence lower than that of the Carnot engine. However, no attempts to build a Carnot engine are being made. Why is that?
a. A Carnot engine would generate too much thermal pollution.
b. Building the Carnot engine is possible but is too expensive.
c. The Carnot engine has zero power.
d. The Carnot engine has too low an efficiency.

and also,
A real heat engine operates between temperatures Tc and Th. During a certain time, an amount Qc of heat is released to the cold reservoir. During that time, what is the maximum amount of work (Wmax) that the engine might have performed?

Homework Equations

for question 2.
Wmax = eff*Qc

The Attempt at a Solution

for question 1.
I think (d) and (c) are not correct, because carnot engine was made because its efficiency can reach up to 100%. That's why it is an ideal engine. so, it also can't have 0 power.
then I don't know the answer is (a) or (b) ..

for question 2.
I calculated but I got wrong
here is the calculation:
Wmax = ((Th-Tc)/Th)*Qc

Please help me..
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, C and D are wrong. As for A and B, ask yourself this, does a more efficient engine produce more or less pollution? A real life example will help here--think about SUVs compared with hybrid cars.

As for your second question, if the real engine is performing the maximum amount of work possible it will behave according to the Carnot cycle. Use conservation of energy (heat in = work + heat out and be careful with signs), and Qc*Th=Qh*Tc (this follows from the Carnot cycle).

for question I. is the answer B? since efficient engine produce less pollution.

for question 2.
work = heat in (Qh) - Heat out (Qc)
then use Qc*Th = Qh*Tc --> Qh = (Qc*Th)/Tc
then work = (Qc*Th)/Tc - Qc

is that the answer?

thanks for helping me..

I got it..
thanks for helping me..

Hi

I have a question on Why the Carnot cycle is not used with real engines? I've got to refer to real cycles in my explanation.

dwintz02 said:
You are right, C and D are wrong. As for A and B, ask yourself this, does a more efficient engine produce more or less pollution? A real life example will help here--think about SUVs compared with hybrid cars.

As for your second question, if the real engine is performing the maximum amount of work possible it will behave according to the Carnot cycle. Use conservation of energy (heat in = work + heat out and be careful with signs), and Qc*Th=Qh*Tc (this follows from the Carnot cycle).
D is wrong but not C. C is the right answer.

Think about the Carnot engine. It uses a reversible cycle, which means that the engine is always in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. The heat is transferred from the hot reservoir and dispersed to the cold reservoir reversibily - infinitessimal temperature differences mean it occurs over time scales approaching infinity. The work done divided by time gives the power, so the power of a Carnot engine is arbitrarily close to 0.

AM

xinlan said:
for question I. is the answer B? since efficient engine produce less pollution.
Efficiency is thermodynamic efficiency which has nothing to do with the chemical efficiency and completeness of combustion. It may not use any chemical combustion at all. You could run a near-Carnot engine using electricity to produce the heat and it would have no pollution whatsoever.

AM

xinlan said:
I think (d) and (c) are not correct, because carnot engine was made because its efficiency can reach up to 100%. That's why it is an ideal engine. so, it also can't have 0 power.
A Carnot engine may be an ideal engine, but that ideal is not 100% efficient.
A Carnot engine can only have 100% efficiency if the cold reservoir is at absolute 0.

AM

xinlan said:

Homework Statement

We have stressed that the Carnot engine does not exist in real life: It is a purely theoretical device, useful for understanding the limitations of heat engines. Real engines never operate on the Carnot cycle; their efficiency is hence lower than that of the Carnot engine. However, no attempts to build a Carnot engine are being made. Why is that?
a. A Carnot engine would generate too much thermal pollution.
b. Building the Carnot engine is possible but is too expensive.
c. The Carnot engine has zero power.
d. The Carnot engine has too low an efficiency.

and also,
A real heat engine operates between temperatures Tc and Th. During a certain time, an amount Qc of heat is released to the cold reservoir. During that time, what is the maximum amount of work (Wmax) that the engine might have performed?

Homework Equations

for question 2.
Wmax = eff*Qc

The Attempt at a Solution

for question 1.
then I don't know the answer is (a) or (b) ..

for question 2.
I calculated but I got wrong
here is the calculation:
Wmax = ((Th-Tc)/Th)*Qc

Please help me..
thank you

see as the engine is real we can no use carnot efficiency to calculate the work. we shud use 2nd law of thermodynamics.solution is as
let the temp of cold and hot reservoir be T2 and T1 resp.
then to hav a feasible process dS>= 0
this implies dat (QC/T2)-[(W+Qc)/T1]>=0
here change in entropy of source and sink are taken into account. the working fluid doesn't has any chnge of entropy as it undergoes a cycle.
for maximum work done possible we equate to zero the above equation(to hav a reversible process)
this gives W max = (Qc/T2)-(Qc/T1)*T1
=Qc[T1/T2 -1]

What is the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the ideal behavior of a heat engine. It consists of four reversible processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

How does the Carnot Cycle work?

In the Carnot Cycle, an ideal gas is compressed isothermally (at constant temperature) and then adiabatically (without heat transfer) to increase its temperature and pressure. The gas then expands isothermally and adiabatically to its original temperature and pressure, completing the cycle. This process results in the conversion of heat energy into mechanical work.

How ideal is the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle is considered to be the most ideal thermodynamic cycle because it is reversible and operates at maximum theoretical efficiency. In reality, no heat engine can achieve perfect efficiency due to factors such as friction and heat loss, but the Carnot Cycle serves as a benchmark for the maximum efficiency that can be achieved.

What are the limitations of the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle is an idealized cycle and does not account for real-world limitations such as the time required for processes to occur, heat loss, and friction. It also assumes that all processes are reversible, which is not possible in practical systems.

How is the Carnot Cycle used in real-world applications?

The Carnot Cycle is used as a theoretical model to compare the efficiency of real-world heat engines. It also serves as the basis for the development of more efficient and practical thermodynamic cycles, such as the Rankine and Otto cycles used in power plants and internal combustion engines, respectively.