Designing a Pocket-Sized Tracking Chip: Extra Credit Physics Project

In summary, the conversation is about designing a small and convenient tracking chip that can fit in a pocket. The speaker is seeking help and ideas for the project, which is for an extra credit assignment in a physics class. They mention the potential for it to be a big project and someone jokes about it being more fitting for an electrical engineering class.
Thewayne45
Right now I'm trying to design a tracking chip that is small and convenient. I want it to be able to fit in a pocket. I need help building it and I've looked all over the web for ideas. This is an extra credit project for physics and i would appreciate it if anyone had any idea or plans. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of tracking chip?

What range do you need?

What type of data transmission do you want to use?

It'll be a really big project... most definitely more than a simple extra credit type assignment.

Sounds like an electrical engineering class. Shouldn't u be throwing objects up and down? :)

1. How does the pocket-sized tracking chip work?

The pocket-sized tracking chip works by utilizing GPS technology and wireless communication. The chip constantly sends out signals to satellites, which then transmit the location data to a central server. This server can then be accessed by the user to track the location of the chip.

2. What materials are needed to create the pocket-sized tracking chip?

The materials needed to create the pocket-sized tracking chip include a microcontroller, GPS module, antenna, battery, and a wireless communication module. In addition, other components such as resistors, capacitors, and a PCB board may be needed for assembly.

3. How accurate is the pocket-sized tracking chip?

The accuracy of the pocket-sized tracking chip depends on the quality of the components used and the strength of the satellite signals. Generally, the chip can provide location accuracy within a few meters, but this may vary depending on the environment and other factors.

4. Can the pocket-sized tracking chip be used for real-time tracking?

Yes, the pocket-sized tracking chip can be used for real-time tracking as long as it has a continuous power source and a strong wireless connection. This allows for constant communication with the central server, providing up-to-date location data.

5. Are there any potential ethical implications of using a pocket-sized tracking chip?

There may be ethical implications to using a pocket-sized tracking chip, especially if it is being used without the knowledge or consent of the person being tracked. It is important to consider privacy concerns and ensure that the use of the chip is legal and ethical in the specific situation.