Quick Solution for a2 + a2 = (a + 1)2: Find a!

• Thread starter eskil
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about finding the solution to the equation a2 + a2 = (a + 1)2 and how to simplify and rearrange it to solve for a. The recommended method was to use the quadratic equation and the final solution was a = 2.41. It was also discussed that a cannot be negative in this case because it was related to finding the length of the sides of a triangle.
eskil
just looking for a quick solution for my equation, seems like my head is just working the wrong way coz I know it's not a hard one:

a2 + a2 = (a + 1)2

a = ?

Physics news on Phys.org
a2+a2=2a2
expand the right side and then simplify.

i don't believe that (a + 1)(a + 1) is 2a2
shouldn't that give a2 + 2a +1 ??

[tex] a^{2} + a^{2} = (a+1)^{2} [/tex] simplifies to [tex] a^{2} + a^{2} = a^{2} + 2a + 1 [/tex] which when you move everything over to one side becomes [tex] a^{2} - 2a - 1 = 0[/tex] which is easy enough to solve. Not sure how rock.freak got what he did.

Last edited:
rock.freak667 said:
a2+a2=2a2
expand the right side and then simplify.

I'm sure he was simplifying the left side (how much simpler can it be?). Then he said expand the RHS and rearrange to solve.

solved it now

a2 + a2 = a2 + 2a + 1

simplified it to a quadraticequation

0 = -a2 + 2a + 1

a1 = 1 + sq.root of 2
a2 = 1 - sq.root of 2

a2 is negative therefore a1 is the right answer

which gives a = 2,41

eskil said:
solved it now

a2 + a2 = a2 + 2a + 1

simplified it to a quadraticequation

0 = -a2 + 2a + 1

a1 = 1 + sq.root of 2
a2 = 1 - sq.root of 2

a2 is negative therefore a1 is the right answer

which gives a = 2,41

Why can't a be negative?

On the LHS you had [tex] a^{2} + a^{2} = (1 - \sqrt{2})^{2} + (1 - \sqrt{2})^{2} = 1 - 2 \sqrt{2} + 2 + 1 - 2 \sqrt{2} + 2 = 6 - 4 \sqrt{2} [/tex]

However on the RHS you had [tex] (a+1)^{2} = (1 - \sqrt{2} + 1)^{2} = (2 - \sqrt{2})^{2} = 4 - 4 \sqrt{2} + 2 = 6 - 4 \sqrt{2} [/tex]

Note also that the "simpler" way to do this would be to rewrite it as

[tex] 2a^{2} = (a+1)^{2} \Rightarrow \sqrt{2} |a| = |a + 1| [/tex] and examine the appropriate regions to get rid of | |.

The reason why it cannot be negative is that the origin of the problem was to determine the length of all sides of a likesided triangle thus can't be negative.

I still think that using the quadratic equation is the simplest way of solving it.

1. What is the formula for finding a in the equation a2 + a2 = (a + 1)2?

The formula for finding a in this equation is a = (a + 1) / 2.

2. How do you solve for a in the equation a2 + a2 = (a + 1)2?

To solve for a, you can use the formula a = (a + 1) / 2. First, simplify the equation by combining like terms on the left side, which gives you 2a2 = (a + 1)2. Then, expand the right side to get 2a2 = a2 + 2a + 1. Finally, subtract a2 and 2a from both sides, which leads to the formula a = (a + 1) / 2.

3. Can you explain the logic behind finding a in the equation a2 + a2 = (a + 1)2?

The logic behind finding a in this equation is based on the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. The equation a2 + a2 = (a + 1)2 is essentially a simplified version of the Pythagorean theorem, where a is one of the sides and (a + 1) is the hypotenuse. By solving for a, we are essentially finding the missing side of the right triangle.

4. Are there any restrictions on the value of a in the equation a2 + a2 = (a + 1)2?

Yes, there is one restriction on the value of a in this equation. Since we are dealing with a right triangle, a must be a positive number, as negative lengths do not exist in geometry.

5. Can this formula be applied to other equations with similar patterns?

Yes, this formula can be applied to other equations with similar patterns. As long as the equation follows the pattern of a2 + a2 = (a + 1)2, the formula a = (a + 1) / 2 can be used to solve for a. However, if the equation deviates from this pattern, a different formula may be needed to solve for a.