New Chem Undergrad Needs Help with Lewis Structures & Empirical Formulas

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their first science subject on Lewis structures and empirical formula. They are struggling with their assignment, which involves writing equations using Lewis structures and balanced chemical equations for various reactions. The compounds potassium iodine, calcium fluoride, and sulfur chlorine are mentioned, as well as the reactions between silicon atoms and chlorine molecules, lithium atoms and bromine molecules, and ethylene and chlorine molecules. The student is reminded that they need to attempt the questions themselves and seek understanding of the material.
odooma
Hi

This is my first science subject ever, and I am having difficulties so I would love to have all the help I can get please.
My assignment is about Lewis structures and empirical formula for the following

Homework Statement

1.potassium iodine, 2. calcium flouride, (these two are ionic compounds)
3. sulfur chlorine ( covalent compound)

Write both an equation using Lewis structures and a balanced chemical equation for the ff reaction
1. Silicon atoms and chlorine molecules
2. Lithium atoms and bromine molecules
3. Ethylene molecules (C2H4) and chlorine molecules; the product is C2H4Cl2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to attempt the question and let us know where your stuck. No one will do the work on here for you. We need to understand the material. :)

Emp form Lewis
potassium iodine - potassium iodide KI K. .. I.
calcium flourine - calcium chloride CaCl .Ca. ..Cl..

1. How do I determine the Lewis structure of a molecule?

To determine the Lewis structure of a molecule, you will need to follow a set of rules that include counting valence electrons, determining the central atom, and arranging the atoms and electrons in a way that satisfies the octet rule. There are also exceptions to these rules, so it is important to practice and refer to a guide when needed.

2. What is the octet rule and how does it apply to Lewis structures?

The octet rule states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons in order to achieve a full outer shell with 8 electrons. This applies to Lewis structures because in order for a molecule to be stable, each atom should have an octet of electrons (except for hydrogen, which only needs 2 electrons).

3. How do I calculate the empirical formula from a molecular formula?

To calculate the empirical formula from a molecular formula, you will need to find the molar mass of each element in the compound and divide it by the molar mass of the compound. This will give you the ratio of each element in the compound, which can then be simplified to get the empirical formula.

4. What is the purpose of drawing Lewis structures and finding empirical formulas?

Drawing Lewis structures and finding empirical formulas helps us to understand the structure and composition of molecules, which is important in predicting their properties and behaviors. It also allows us to make comparisons between different molecules and identify patterns and trends.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when drawing Lewis structures?

Some common mistakes to avoid when drawing Lewis structures include forgetting to account for lone pairs, breaking the octet rule for elements that can have an expanded octet, and incorrect placement of atoms and bonds. It is also important to check for formal charges and make sure they are minimized in the final structure.