Difference between dissipation,diffusion and dispersion

In summary, the difference between dissipation, diffusion, and dispersion as viewed in CFD is based on spatial derivatives. When using the wavenumber approach, it is found that the error has both real and complex parts, with the complex part controlling dissipation and the real part controlling dispersion. Dissipation refers to the decrease in magnitude of a wave, while dispersion refers to inaccuracies in calculating the speed of a propagating wave. Central differences have only a real component to the wavenumber error, making them non-dissipative but with dispersion. One-side differences are purely dissipative but can be highly dissipative. High-order schemes may require artificial dissipation to avoid spurious waves.
mahaesh
Anyone help me
What is the difference between dissipation, diffusion and dispersion as CFD point of view?

Engineering news on Phys.org
These occur typically when referring to spatial derivatives. When one expands spatial derivatives from Taylor Series expansions, one can take a wavenumber approach to looking at errors and how waves propagate.

When you do the wavenumber approach, you find that the error has a real and complex part of the solutions. The complex component controls dissipation, while the real part controls dispersion (or vice versa, can't recall 100%).

To clarify, dissipation is the function of wave dying in magnitude, while dispersion is when the speed of the propagating wave is not calculated with proper accuracy and it "lags" behind the actual function.

Doing wavenumber analysis, you find that central differences, i.e. the classic second-order difference:
[tex] \frac{ du }{ dx } = \frac{u_{i+1} - u_{i-1}}{2 \Delta x} [/tex]

Have only a real component to the wavenumber error, so while they are inherently non-dissipative, they do have dispersion. Likewise one-side differences, i.e. the standard first-order backward difference:
[tex] \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{u_{i} - u_{i-1}}{\Delta x} [/tex]

is purely dissipative in that it will propagate the wave at the correct speed, but it HIGHLY dissipative. When high-order schemes (see Tam and Webb DRP schemes, etc) are used, many times artificial dissipation is needed to damp spurious waves before they become problems. Schemes with orders of accuracy as high as 9th order are commonly used as artificial dissipation.

What is the difference between dissipation, diffusion, and dispersion?

Dissipation, diffusion, and dispersion are all related to the movement of particles or energy, but they have distinct meanings and processes.

How does dissipation differ from diffusion?

Dissipation refers to the process of energy being transformed into a different form, often resulting in a loss of energy. Diffusion, on the other hand, is the movement of particles or molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.

What is the main difference between diffusion and dispersion?

While diffusion involves the movement of particles or molecules, dispersion refers to the spreading out of a substance or energy over an area. This can occur through diffusion, but can also be caused by other processes such as convection or advection.

How are dissipation, diffusion, and dispersion related to each other?

All three processes involve the movement of substances or energy, but they have distinct mechanisms and outcomes. Dissipation often occurs as a result of diffusion or dispersion, and diffusion and dispersion can both be affected by dissipation.

What are some real-world examples of dissipation, diffusion, and dispersion?

Dissipation can be seen in many everyday processes, such as the loss of energy in a car engine or the dissipation of heat from a hot object. Diffusion is important for processes like gas exchange in our lungs, and dispersion is responsible for phenomena like the spread of pollutants in the environment.