Relativity and observed length of a moving object

In summary, Relativity and observed length of a moving object is that the length of each side as measured by an observer changes when the speed of the object changes.
goWlfpack
Relativity and observed length of a moving object!

Homework Statement

A box is cubical with sides of proper lengths L1 = L2 = L3 = 2.3 m, as shown in the figure below, when viewed in its own rest frame. This block moves parallel to one of its edges with a speed of 0.89c past an observer.
What is the length of each side as measured by this observer? Assume that the side that the block is moving parallel to is L1.

Homework Equations

L = Lp square root(v^2/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

so i got the answer to L2 and L3 which are the sides of the cube perpendicular to the direction of travel. However i don't know how to find the length of the parallel side. anybody know why?

Physics news on Phys.org

Look up "length contraction" in special relativity.

thats where i found the equation, the v squared/ c squared came out so small that 1 minus that came to just 1... and then the length is the same... but that was wrong

Show exactly what you did. (The equation in your first post is not correct.)

Doc Al said:
Show exactly what you did. (The equation in your first post is not correct.)

ok, i took the proper length, which is 2.3 and multiplied it by the square root of (1 - v^2/c^2) i used .89 as v and 2.99e8 for c

when i did v^2 / c^2 i got 8.86e-18
when i do 1 - that answer, the change is so insignificant that it just counts as one. the square root of 1 is 1 and 1 multiplied by 2.3 is 2.3 .. but that is not right

goWlfpack said:
ok, i took the proper length, which is 2.3 and multiplied it by the square root of (1 - v^2/c^2) i used .89 as v and 2.99e8 for c
v = 0.89c, not 0.89.
So what's v/c?

Doc Al said:
v = 0.89c, not 0.89.
So what's v/c?

got it! green check! :) i always miss little things like that! thanks so much!

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does relativity affect the observed length of a moving object?

According to relativity, the length of a moving object appears shorter to an observer than its actual length. This is because as an object moves faster, time slows down for that object, causing its length to contract in the direction of motion.

3. Does this mean that an object's actual length changes when it is in motion?

No, the actual length of an object does not change. It is only the observed length that appears to change due to the effects of relativity. This is known as the relativity of simultaneity, where different observers perceive the same events as happening at different times.

4. Is there a limit to how much an object's length can contract due to relativity?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, an object's length can never contract to zero. As an object approaches the speed of light, its length will continue to contract but will never reach zero. This is known as the Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction.

5. How does relativity affect our understanding of space and time?

Relativity has completely revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It has shown that they are not absolute and fixed, but rather relative and dependent on the observer's frame of reference. It has also led to the famous equation E=mc^2, which explains the relationship between mass and energy.