Investigating K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O Synthesis

• Thread starter z89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Synthesis
In summary, the conversation discusses the synthesis of K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O from Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2.6H2O. The first step involves reacting Iron(II) ammonium sulphate with oxalic acid dihydrate to form Iron(II) oxalate precipitate. In the second step, Iron(II) oxalate is oxidized to potassium trioxalatoferrate(III) K3Fe(C2O4)3 by the addition of H2O2 and K2C2O4. The person has found a website discussing the lab but is unsure about the equation and the gas released during the reaction. They
z89
Actually this is a part of homework. I've found the answer, but I have some problems.

The lab I did in previous lesson is the preparation of K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O from Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2.6H2O

In the first step, Iron(II) ammonium sulphate was reacted with oxalic acid dihydrate to form Iron(II) oxalate precipitate.

In the second step, Iron(II) oxalate was oxidized to potassium trioxalatoferrate(III) K3Fe(C2O4)3 by addition of H2O2 and K2C2O4.

In fact, I found link(s) talking about the lab

http://www.chem.umass.edu/genchem/chem112/112_Experiment_1.htm

but I was a bit doubt about the equation mentioned. I observed that there was bubbles formed/gas evolving in step 2. I believed that this is not oxygen, since Fe2+ is oxidized to Fe3+ in this process, H2O2(O: -1 in ON) cannot be oxidized to O2(O: 0) in the same time.
Therefore, it should be CO2, which was oxidized from oxalate, am I right?

And then, why the equation did not mention the oxidization of oxalate... even the release of gas

of course, this problem didn't affect the calculation process. I am just curious ..
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've known iron salts to catalytically decompose hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. Was the peroxide present in excess?

yes, thanks for your reminder:biggrin:

but, is the reaction between oxalate and H2O2 favourable?

1. What is the purpose of investigating K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O synthesis?

The purpose of investigating K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O synthesis is to understand the chemical reactions involved in the synthesis of this compound, as well as its physical and chemical properties. This information can then be used for various practical applications, such as in the production of other compounds or in understanding the behavior of similar substances.

2. What is the procedure for synthesizing K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O?

The general procedure for synthesizing K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O involves mixing a solution of iron(III) chloride with a solution of potassium oxalate, followed by addition of an acid such as hydrochloric acid. This mixture is then heated and stirred until the desired product is formed. The product is then filtered, washed, and dried to obtain the final compound.

3. What are the key chemicals involved in the synthesis of K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O?

The key chemicals involved in the synthesis of K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O are iron(III) chloride, potassium oxalate, and an acid such as hydrochloric acid. These chemicals react with each other to form the final compound, K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O.

4. What are the potential applications of K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O?

K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O has various potential applications, such as in the production of other iron-based compounds, as a catalyst in chemical reactions, and as a dye in the textile industry. It can also be used in research and educational settings as a model compound for studying various chemical and physical properties.

5. What techniques are commonly used to analyze the synthesized K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O?

Common techniques used to analyze synthesized K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O include elemental analysis, infrared spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, and thermal analysis. These techniques provide information about the chemical composition, molecular structure, and physical properties of the compound, helping to confirm its identity and purity.