Lagrange - Cylinder rolling on a Fixed Cylinder

Note that {p} is NOT momentum - it is the conjugate variable. For the Hamiltonian formulation, the relation is H = T + VIn summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a uniform solid cylinder rolling on the rough surface of a fixed horizontal cylinder. The angle at which the cylinder leaves the fixed cylinder is determined to be \theta = \cos^{-1} (4/7). The attempt at a solution involves solving a nonlinear differential equation, and the possibility of using Lagrange multipliers to solve for the velocity and normal force.
cscott

Homework Statement

A uniform solid cylinder of mass `m' and radius `a' rolls on the rough outer surface of a fixed horizontal cylinder of radius `b'. Let `theta' be the angle between the plane containing the cylinder axes and the upward vertical (generalized coord.)

Deduce that the cylinder will leave the fixed cylinder at [tex]\theta=\cos^{-1}(4/7)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got,

[tex]\ddot{\theta} + \frac{2g}{3(a+b)} \sin(\theta) = 0[/tex]

I just don't know the best way to approach answering the last bit about when the cylinder leaves the fixed on it's rolling on.
Or how do I solve this ODE?

Last edited:
Likes Raphaela Lima
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer the following questions, so we can help you:

1. What happens when the cylinder 'leaves' the surface of the fixed cylinder?

2. Unrelated - The DE you have is nonlinear, and does not have a transcendental solution. Hint for the solution: look up any standard book on classical mechanics for the 'exact' solution of an unforced simple pendulum.

Normal force will be zero i.e.,

[tex]mg\cos \theta - N = m \frac{v^2}{a+b}[/tex]

=> [tex] v^2 = g(a+b) \cos \theta[/tex]

So if I knew velocity I could solve for theta but I can't get [itex]\theta(t)[/itex] because I can't solve the ODE. Saying [itex]\sin \theta \approx \theta[/itex] doesn't make sense here.

Ok I got this part. Was my original ODE for [tex]\ddot{\theta}[/tex] correct?

Thanks.

cscott said:
Ok I got this part. Was my original ODE for [tex]\ddot{\theta}[/tex] correct?

Thanks.

Show us your working here, leading up to the DE. I think its okay, but I haven't checked (I remember the 2/3 factor from memory, having solved something like this a long time ago).

[tex]V = -mg(a+b)\cos \theta[/tex]

[tex]T = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2I\omega^2 = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2(1/2ma^2)(v/a)^2[/tex]

[tex]= 3/4mv^2 = 3/4m(a+b)^2\dot{\theta}^2[/tex][tex]L = T-V[/tex] So,

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{dL}{d\dot{\theta}} = 3/2m(a+b)^2\ddot{\theta}[/tex] (*)

[tex]\frac{dL}{d\theta} = -mg(a+b)\sin \theta[/tex] (**)

Then subtracting (**) from (*) and equating to zero gives you my result.

I'm curious - have you been studying the use of Lagrange multipliers for solving problems with constraints? This problem is a classic example from that subject, where you would use two generalized coordinates (e.g x and y) that are constrained in some way - in this case the path of the center of the rolling cylinder follows a circular path while it remains in contact with the lower cylinder. One of your eqs. of motion is then the eq. of constraint, and you can solve for when the force of constraint goes to zero.

I believe it's equivalent to what you're doing, so it's not necessarily a better approach, but I was just wondering if perhaps that's what you were meant to do here.

cscott said:
[tex]V = -mg(a+b)\cos \theta[/tex]

[tex]T = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2I\omega^2 = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2(1/2ma^2)(v/a)^2[/tex]

[tex]= 3/4mv^2 = 3/4m(a+b)^2\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]

[tex]L = T-V[/tex] So,

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{dL}{d\dot{\theta}} = 3/2m(a+b)^2\ddot{\theta}[/tex] (*)

[tex]\frac{dL}{d\theta} = -mg(a+b)\sin \theta[/tex] (**)

Then subtracting (**) from (*) and equating to zero gives you my result.

Seems alright to me. As an added exercise, try energy conservation to get the same result.

belliott4488 said:
I'm curious - have you been studying the use of Lagrange multipliers for solving problems with constraints? This problem is a classic example from that subject, where you would use two generalized coordinates (e.g x and y) that are constrained in some way - in this case the path of the center of the rolling cylinder follows a circular path while it remains in contact with the lower cylinder. One of your eqs. of motion is then the eq. of constraint, and you can solve for when the force of constraint goes to zero.

I believe it's equivalent to what you're doing, so it's not necessarily a better approach, but I was just wondering if perhaps that's what you were meant to do here.

No we haven't done Langrange multipliers yet.

This is a little roundabout, but technically, while you cannot solve for [tex]{\theta}[/tex], you can solve your differential equation for [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] from your equation of motion.

Multiply your equation of motion throughout by [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex], and integrate. You will get the Hamiltonian, which in this case, could have been gotten from T+V.

I suppose this would qualify as 'Using the Lagrangian' as you did not immediately jump to E = T + V

From that, you can solve for [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex], and find v, and then apply normal force = 0.

For a more technical approach, in mechanics, for a variable [tex]{x}[/tex], the momenta (conjugate variable of x) is
[tex]{p}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot x}[/tex]

The Hamiltonian is then defined as [tex]{\dot x p} - L[/tex], which in this case, gives T + V.

So you would technically be working from the Lagrangian.

Last edited:

What is the Lagrange - Cylinder rolling on a Fixed Cylinder?

The Lagrange - Cylinder rolling on a Fixed Cylinder is a classical mechanics problem that involves the motion of a cylinder of mass m and radius R rolling on top of a fixed cylinder of radius 2R. The motion of the cylinder is described using the Lagrange equations, which are a set of equations used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system.

What are the assumptions made in the Lagrange - Cylinder rolling on a Fixed Cylinder problem?

The main assumptions made in this problem are that the cylinders are both rigid bodies, there is no slipping between the cylinders, and there is no external force acting on the system. These assumptions allow for a simplified analysis of the motion of the cylinders.

How is the motion of the Lagrange - Cylinder rolling on a Fixed Cylinder solved?

The motion of the cylinder is solved by using the Lagrange equations, which involve finding the Lagrangian of the system and then solving for the equations of motion. The Lagrangian is a function that describes the kinetic and potential energy of the system, and the equations of motion describe how the positions and velocities of the cylinders change with time.

What is the significance of the Lagrange - Cylinder rolling on a Fixed Cylinder problem?

The Lagrange - Cylinder rolling on a Fixed Cylinder problem is significant because it is a classic example of a problem that can be solved using the Lagrange equations. This problem is also used to illustrate the concept of constraints in classical mechanics, as the no-slipping constraint between the cylinders plays a crucial role in the motion of the system.

How does the Lagrange - Cylinder rolling on a Fixed Cylinder problem relate to real-world applications?

The Lagrange - Cylinder rolling on a Fixed Cylinder problem has real-world applications in the design and analysis of rolling objects, such as wheels and gears. The principles used in this problem can also be applied to more complex systems, such as rolling robots, where the motion must be carefully controlled to achieve specific tasks.